Jump to content

How long should I wait after Columnaris outbreak?


Recommended Posts

After a long battle with┬ácolumnaris, I lost 10 of my 12 guppies. ­čś×

They were in a receiving tank and went through one round of ParaCleans, Ich-X and Maracyn, as well as two rounds of Maracyn Two, and aquarium salt. The surviving two are doing great, but I am very hesitant to stock anything else. 

What is a good time period to wait to ensure that I don't get another outbreak?



Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sorry to hear about the fish loss! I wish I had an answer, but I'm actually really curious myself since I seem to have chronic, mild columnaris on at least one fish in each of my livebearer tanks at any given time, no matter how often I change water or how aggressively I treat the external infections.

I'm glad they were at least in a quarantine tank. I definitely think the two survivors should stay in quarantine for a bit longer just to make sure they're clear. If there's just one male and one female, you might want to get a few more females to reduce the stress, but otherwise I say just let em chill for awhile before adding any more fish.

Common wisdom is that an ounce of prevention's worth a pound of cure for bacterial infections. Keep the water pristine, keep the salt level elevated while they're in quarantine and otherwise just stay on top of aquarium maintenance. But I hope there are more specific answers, because I'd like to know, too!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Create New...