Hello from Indiana

Warhawk

Hello everyone,

About 3-4 years ago I needed a break so I shut down most of my fish room, I dropped from 25+ tanks to 2 so huge amount of time freed up. After taking that break I catch myself looking at the fish tanks in restaurants and thinking it could be time to set up a few tanks. Plus the local store credit I have from when I traded it fish is kind of burning a hole in my pocket as they say.

What I enjoyed was breeding fish and always loved guppies. So I think I will use this to setup some a few tanks just for those things, I'm going to post in the breeding section  about that. 

So hello again to everyone. 

Yes MTS is real. I really enjoyed my fish room, couldn't count the hours of time I spent tending to the fish and relaxing. But after a few years it was just taking too much time away from the family and had to scale back. I keep my big tank going and many people tried to buy it but couldn't give up all my fish. 

If you ever get a chance for a room what every time & money you think it will take double it. They take a lot to make run but worth it.

What does it actually cost per month to run a fish room ? I bid a job once at a house that the owner said his monthly power bill was 1500.00 per month. He had two huge reef tanks not sure the size maybe 800 gallon each plus he said the food was 500-1000 per month with all the corals and different creatures it seemed nuts. He was easily based on what he said spending 2k a month on those tanks. 

Salt water does cost more. I have a friend with a 80g salt tank and costs a lot more to keep up than my 150g from what he tells me. 

My room was in my basement and about 200sq feet so not huge but had about 1,200 gallons at my peak. I would have to estimate the cost but pretty sure it was less than $150-200 per month.  If I where to rebuild my fish room with better walls, door and better insulation I could drop the power bill down to nothing. If I did auto water changes could cut the water bill too. My guess is a well build and thought out room would be about $100 or less per month