Adding a Sump to an 80 Gallon Frag Tank I am using as a Guppy/BN Pleco Tank

Andrew Puhr

So I found this sump on FB Marketplace. I haven't purchased it yet. I am considering it for my Breeding Fish for Profit Tank. The Tank already has a built in overflow which I have capped. currently. This seems like a good set-up I would just need a return pump and some PVC but everything else is here. Would i plumb it into the left side so it fills up there before reaching the center bio-media and then go to the right and be pumped back into the tank?

New to sumps not sure where to begin.

No photo description available.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Andrew Puhr said:

Would i plumb it into the left side so it fills up there before reaching the center bio-media and then go to the right and be pumped back into the tank?

Yes. It looks that way to me. The sump looks like it also has two inlet pipes, perhaps for a Herbie style overflow.

The other side is where you’d typically put your return pump plumbed to the water return in your tank.

That specific sump may have had an external return pump as opposed to one sitting inside the sump, in the water. 

Link below to different styles of a sump overflow plumbing in an aquarium.

durso-1.jpg
BLOG.MARINEDEPOT.COM

Aquarium overflows can be a tricky DIY project. Skip the mistakes and learn from the experts at Marine Depot. We’ll show you how to do it right!

Edited by tolstoy21
  • Like 1

Oh word of caution with an in-tank overflow. Make sure you have a way of keeping it from sweeping away fry or smaller fish. And if you use sponge or something to block the larger slots they normally have, make sure it does not get covered by plants or clogged with debris or you could see some issues. Floating plants are definitely problematic.

I saw an endler make that journey through mine and meet it’s demise in the return pump impeller. Kuhli loaches also can’t resist taking a trip into the sump. Overflows are generally not nano fish friendly in my experience. 

Edited by tolstoy21
  • Like 1