ACO Heater question

knee

On 10/16/2024 at 12:52 PM, Guppysnail said:

How far above room temp are you heating it and does it have a lid does sump have a lid 

It’s kinda cold now in socal so the room temp gets between 65-70 (yes that’s cold for us 😂) it can also go down to 60 room temp and I heat my tanks to 76. We do have centralized ac/heat and when room temp gets to 60 or lower I use the heater to keep room temp to 73. 

During summer and spring it wouldn’t be so much of an issue because even without a heater the tanks stay at 74-75.

I would be putting a lid on the tank and sump. 

To play it safe try a controler like Inkbird so you will get a alarm. I run two fluval e100w on a 75gal. One is just on standby in case the primary fails. They are set 3degs. apart tank is covered room is 70ish tank is 78f. If you go wifi your phone can warn you. It is all about your room temp and tank target temp. Some times I run my house cooler then the second heater kicks in. Also I keep my water stired up fluval 407 with the intake on one end and spray bar on the other end and a  tidal 75 in the center rear glass so the temp is the same throughout the tank.

On 10/16/2024 at 3:09 PM, Airborne 82nd said:

To play it safe try a controler like Inkbird so you will get an alarm. I run two fluval e100w on a 75gal. One is just on standby in case the primary fails. They are set 3degs. apart tank is covered room is 70ish tank is 78f. If you go wifi your phone can warn you. It is all about your room temp and tank target temp. Some times I run my house cooler then the second heater kicks in. Also I keep my water stired up fluval 407 with the intake on one end and spray bar on the other end and a  tidal 75 in the center rear glass so the temp is the same throughout the tank.

I have inkbird on all my tanks. Even the 5g tanks I’m running have inkbird.

I’m asking specifically for the ACO heater. I could easily put 2 300w jager heaters and call it a day but I wanted to see if my spare ACO heaters can handle the 150

Edited by knee

Does not matter who makes the heater I doubt aco makes the heater like the lights. Even if they have some input on the specs. 100watts is still 100watts. Just put them on and watch and see. How you configure the inkbird will make a difference. The same rules still apply inkbird or no inkbird if house temp changes say if your house heater or ac broke the tank demands also change.

On 10/16/2024 at 8:26 PM, knee said:

It certainly matters who makes them. I wouldn't use a bunch of brands even if they were free. 

I suspect the point being made, is that 100 watts are not going to put out any more than 350 btus per hour no matter who makes it…. They are all simple resistive heaters, no heat pump technology being used to give higher heat output….

On 10/16/2024 at 6:15 PM, Pepere said:

I suspect the point being made, is that 100 watts are not going to put out any more than 350 btus per hour no matter who makes it…. They are all simple resistive heaters, no heat pump technology being used to give higher heat output….

Good to know 👍🏻