10 Gallon Stock Ideas

Sandrock14

On 10/2/2024 at 2:23 PM, Schuyler said:

That said, the prices can be a little high

well, yes, the important part here, find what appeals by look at a certain price point. even if they're unavailable. and then find a source, doesn't have to be dans. Although I'm sure he would like the business. Dans has the most killi pictures of anyone I know. 

• Like 1

On 10/2/2024 at 1:23 PM, Schuyler said:

I love Dan's fish and all the work he's doing to ensure people get healthy, high quality fish. That said, the prices can be a little high. For killifish I would reach out to a local club. Fundulopanchax Gardneri often breed like guppies so there's a good chance there's a killifish person willing to share with someone new to killis. Or at least that's been my experience and what I've done a few times in the past.

On 10/2/2024 at 1:22 PM, Scaperoot said:

I only had him for about a month. The fish farm I usually get fish from is hit or miss on certain types of fish.  I had to learn (the hard way) which ones to avoid. Like their female Koi Bettas for example. All have either died within a year or are living with tumors now. We have Bettas that we got from tiny cups at big box stores that are three years or older. A couple Bettas I bought from Aqua Huna this year are doing well, so I hope that's a better option going forward. Would love to try with another Honey Gourami one day. 

On 10/2/2024 at 9:45 AM, Tony s said:

Dans fish has a lot of different ones to look at. Also look at the price. The common ones are usually the hardiest, and have the lowest prices. For first time killifish people, me included, stunning but cheap is a good thing. 

Lots of cheap ones currently out of stock. But you get the idea 

I'm looking at Dan's Fish right now. They have a super large selection of Killis. I personally don't have paying top dollar for quality fish, especially if they are ethically treated. I will eyeball them. I'm currently between a single male Honey to start with possibly 1 or 2 more Honeys added down the road and a nice Killi pair. 

• Like 2

On 10/2/2024 at 6:02 PM, Sandrock14 said:

I personally don't have paying top dollar for quality fish, especially if they are ethically treated

It's not really about the money and by all means buy from dan. I only mentioned them because they have a large selection and a really good photographer. That way you can see what there is around. The cheaper the fish, the easier you can find it. Dans is really great and if the one that catches your eye is not cheap. that's great too.

• Like 1

On 10/2/2024 at 5:28 PM, Tony s said:

It's not really about the money and by all means buy from dan. I only mentioned them because they have a large selection and a really good photographer. That way you can see what there is around. The cheaper the fish, the easier you can find it. Dans is really great and if the one that catches your eye is not cheap. that's great too.

I will definitely consider it. There are a lot of fish off Dan's I've never seen before. His videos on YouTube looks like he is a chill/nice guy.

• Like 1

On 10/2/2024 at 6:33 PM, Sandrock14 said:

His videos on YouTube looks like he is a chill/nice guy.

I love his channel. But he usually goes head-to-head with the one I really love. so, he gets the rewatch later

On 10/2/2024 at 6:41 PM, mynameisnobody said:

Every time I buy from Dans I never regret it. Ever. 

Correct. Dan's is great. Got nothing bad to say about him. It was just a way to gauge the commonness of the killi

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
On 10/2/2024 at 5:36 PM, Tony s said:

I love his channel. But he usually goes head-to-head with the one I really love. so, he gets the rewatch later

Who's the one you really love?

I've definitely eyed up some Threadfin Rainbows in my time. For whatever reason I could never pull the trigger on them. I think I personally have owned small fish (tetra size) for the last 5-10 years that I try to branch out and get something slightly larger haha. They are gorgeous though.

I currently have about a 10 year old Bristlenose Pleco in a 25 gallon. She is the reason why I keep the tank up. I ultimately want to take it down and get a nice 40 breeder or something similar.

Edited by Sandrock14
  • Love 1

On 10/3/2024 at 9:41 AM, Sandrock14 said:

Who's the one you really love?

I have a lot of fun watching primetime with Jason and Joanna Adams  

Second for me is either Bob and Chelsie(?) Steenfott or Bentley Pascoe, and then Cory and Dan

• Love 1

On 10/3/2024 at 9:41 AM, Sandrock14 said:

I think I personally have owned small fish (tetra size) for the last 5-10 years that I try to branch out and get something slightly larger haha

Yeah, kind of where I'm at. Small fish are great, but it's time for some fish with personality. My problem is I keep underestimating what size tank the fish should have. Got a 45 gallon just sitting for the moment, because it's borderline too small for anything of size (but I got it for 50% off with stand, should have got another 75g though)

On 10/3/2024 at 10:46 AM, Tony s said:

Yeah, kind of where I'm at. Small fish are great, but it's time for some fish with personality. My problem is I keep underestimating what size tank the fish should have. Got a 45 gallon just sitting for the moment, because it's borderline too small for anything of size (but I got it for 50% off with stand, should have got another 75g though)

Yes!! Exactly. I used to have a 75 gallon in high school. It's a nice size. 45 gallon is kind of that inbetween size. I am craving a larger tank....

• Like 1