automatic mister recommendations (maintaining humidity in a paludarium?)

clownbaby

Pet snails. The species I am eyeing is a riparian-obligate species that likes to wade in shallow puddles. They also require humidity levels at least around 60%, ideally 70-80 percent. I know the plants I want and all that, have the enclosure, but what are some tips for keeping humidity high?

I haven't ever kept a controlled humidity environment before. Yes I have kept humid terrariums, but I have never had to keep the humidity level stable.

Are automatic misters better than spray bottles? Do you need to dechlorinate water? (Rainwater is an option for me as well)? If automatic misters are an option, what are some good ideal brands? Are humidity meters accurate? Any brands?

Thank you all. Any tips are appreciated. 

I've never used an Inkbird humidity controller but I've been pretty happy with their temperature controllers.

If rainwater (or distilled, or RO) is an option, I might use that, if only from the standpoint of trying to slow or prevent mineral build-up in my lines, but that may actually be more work than just cleaning them periodically.

• Like 1

On 9/28/2024 at 8:45 AM, Rube_Goldfish said:

I've never used an Inkbird humidity controller but I've been pretty happy with their temperature controllers.

If rainwater (or distilled, or RO) is an option, I might use that, if only from the standpoint of trying to slow or prevent mineral build-up in my lines, but that may actually be more work than just cleaning them periodically.

I have one of the inkbird humidity controllers as well. I don't like it because there is no way to disable the high humidity alarm and I find it very difficult to keep the humidity above 70% without hitting the 99% high humidity alarm threshold. Basically I have to connect a fan to it also to lower the humidity to avoid random beeping.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1