Filter Sizing Help

JDP

Good afternoon all. I’m new to the hobby after taking a 25 year break and things sure have changed. I have a 55gallon that has 1 shabunkin, 1 Black Moore, and 2 Koi (4-5”). I know I need a bigger tank for the koi but my neighbor asked if could hold onto them for a bit as he’s going through some medical issues and will be gone. I’m trying to decide on an FX2 or an FX4 for a canister filter as the HOBs aren’t enough for these guys. I know flow is adjustable on both, but with koi being notoriously dirty, do I need the larger filter capacity? The only fish I worry about with flow is my black Moore. I started with her and the Shabunkin and wasn’t  planning on holding the Koi. Any advice would be appreciated.  ** photo was taken before I added an second HOB because of the KOI**  the Hobs are topfin 75’s with a advertised flow of 400 each which is an absurd lie  

IMG_2645.jpeg

Edited by JDP
  • Love 1

On 9/25/2024 at 3:34 PM, mynameisnobody said:

FX4 for less maintenance, FX2 for much more maintenance. Either will do, but how much effort are you willing to put into this is the real question. 

I’m not opposed to maintenance as it’s certainly required to keep our babies healthy but if there is a way to reduce the amount I’m all for that as well. Would the FX4 just blow the Moore around the tank? I haven’t heard many good things about spray bars. 

• Like 1

What did the neighbor have the fish in? How long do you plan on fish sitting? Could you just use his filter. In a 55 you are going to be doing a lot of water changes no matter what filter you get. It might be better to bring his whole setup to your place. If your not keeping the Koi then all you need is a 407 and that is big for a 55gal you will just have to keep up with your water changes. your talking about a big block in a VW bug😁 I don't understand buying a big filter just to turn it down.

• Like 2

On 9/25/2024 at 6:34 PM, mynameisnobody said:

FX4 for less maintenance, FX2 for much more maintenance.

Okay, now you have my curiosity. Besides the water change bib, what's the difference between filters? or does the water change bib makes that big a difference?

On 9/25/2024 at 5:15 PM, mynameisnobody said:

@Tony sits literally just size so the bigger the filter, the less maintenance. However with that stocking list, you’ll still be doing 80% water change once per week. The koi is what really throws a monkey wrench in this. It’s just grossly overstocked. 

I’m trying to find somebody, or a local fish store, who can handle the KOI. I talked to the neighbors after seeing the posts. My neighbor had apparently had them out back in some odd makeshift “pond” that looks like just a rain barrel cut in half. Feel like they’re better with me until I can find a Suitable home which agrees needs to happen. Until I find that home I just gotta do what I can to make sure they’re taken care of. 

• Like 1

On 9/25/2024 at 11:21 PM, JDP said:

My neighbor had apparently had them out back in some odd makeshift “pond” that looks like just a rain barrel cut in half. Feel like they’re better with me until I can find a Suitable home which agrees needs to happen. Until I find that home I just gotta do what I can to make sure they’re taken care of. 

Quite right, and well done. You’re being a great neighbor. Maybe you can borrow their tank for a bit? But, yeah, if they aren’t in position to reclaim them, and they’re now yours, they will need a new home. Or a new koi pond. At least you’re aware of it. And they’ll be fine for a short amount of time. We do what we can. 

People see KOI like this and immediately think we’re monsters by having them lol. I’m just trying to do the right thing here. And until I can find them a suitable home then I’ll buy whatever filter I need and do whatever I need. That’s why I’m asking for advice here  

On 9/25/2024 at 8:36 PM, Tony s said:

Quite right, and well done. You’re being a great neighbor. Maybe you can borrow their tank for a bit? But, yeah, if they aren’t in position to reclaim them, and they’re now yours, they will need a new home. Or a new koi pond. At least you’re aware of it. And they’ll be fine for a short amount of time. We do what we can. 

Edited by JDP
  • Love 1

On 9/25/2024 at 11:48 PM, JDP said:

That’s why I’m asking for advice here

I do like the fx2. With a spray bar you could go all the way to an fx6. It’ll help now, for sure. And when your neighbors fish find new homes.  And use it to upgrade your goldfish’s tank. And maybe get a few new friends. 😁. You’re doing the same thing I would do. Someone needs help, you help. End of story. Well done.

On 9/25/2024 at 11:48 PM, JDP said:

People see KOI like this and immediately think we’re monsters by having them

And for the most part, this is a pretty safe space. Especially compared to other sites and other forums. Rarely is there flames involved here. Which is what makes this forum so good.

• Love 1