Furniture levers

JoeQ

I need to get an area rug underneath a dresser that has a 15g Fishtank on it... Of course ill drain the tank 3/4 way down before I lift the dresser with the lever, but I'm still hesitant. Does anyone have expirence with this? Could there be any unseen problem from the tanks water shifting (altho ever so slightly)? Precautions I should take?

Edit:

Also can anyone ballpark how many pounds that would be?

Edited by JoeQ
Added note

approx 8# a gallon, so if you drain it 3/4 it would still have 5gal or approx 40 pounds of liquid. id would just be very cautious, and make slow smooth movements with the dresser, and tank. or you could drain the tank 3/4 and move it while you slip the rug in there. ive moved partially filled tanks a few times with no issues.

On 9/16/2024 at 2:11 PM, lefty o said:

approx 8# a gallon, so if you drain it 3/4 it would still have 5gal or approx 40 pounds of liquid. id would just be very cautious, and make slow smooth movements with the dresser, and tank. or you could drain the tank 3/4 and move it while you slip the rug in there. ive moved partially filled tanks a few times with no issues.

That was the plan! I bought this furniture lever, its probably over kill but better to have (the additional weight capacity) and not need it, than to need a stronger lever and not have it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CNVYKVL1/ref=pe_386300_440135490_TE_simp_item_image

On 9/16/2024 at 2:33 PM, knee said:

Thanks! Lifting the tank alone was not in the plans but ill definitely book mark for a future project!

Edited by JoeQ

Welp..... I had my doubts but highly recommended for ANYONE who owns furnature. I could have probably drained a gallon of water (to avoid spillover) and still been able to safely lift the dresser!

20240922_143144.jpg

Edited by JoeQ
  • Like 1

This is past the need to advise, but perhaps someone else will have to move a fish tank. From past experience I know that the most important part is making sure the tank remains on a stable, flat surface. You did the right thing by lifting the dresser and tank together. This prevented the tank from being lifted unevenly. With 40 pounds of weight in it, the bottom pane could crack under the stress if it was lifted on only one side, or placed on an uneven surface. I would not try to move a partially filled tank with gravel and rocks in it unless it was on top of a rigid, unbending, unwarping surface.