New to the Hobby

First fish tank here...I had a musk turtle for 33 years (age 6 to 39) who died earlier this year.  After letting her tank empty, my kids won some goldfish at a local carnival.  They got sick unfortunately and we rehomed them for better care.  After doing some research and becoming more interested, I picked up 12 long fin white cloud mountain minnows.  They're in a 20L with some Gobi rock, four plastic plants, a Tidal 55 filter (pre filter sponge, internal sponge, polishing pad, purigen, and matrix) and a medium sponge filter.  I've had them 2-3 weeks now and am feeding xtreme nano pellets and frozen bloodworms once a week.  I'm going to add in a hillstream loach as soon as my lfs gets them in.  I've already had a lot of good help here, just figured I'd post here as well.

20240914_184521.jpg

Edited by rydin4life
  • Like 4

On 9/14/2024 at 7:05 PM, rydin4life said:

First fish tank here...I had a musk turtle for 33 years (age 6 to 39) who died earlier this year. 

Sorry for your loss. But wow. You did a fantastic job with the turtle. I’m sure you’ll do great with your fish also. 😁

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for your loss. 

One thing I would recommend would be to put some fluval stratum in there if you want plants, but if you are using fake plants, just use any substrate. It is always nice seeing beginners who have proper husbandry as opposed to a fish bowl. One of my cousins has a 75 gallon long tank he has had for about 5 years now, and it looks stunning. If you want to, I would definitely put some nutrient rich substrate in there and add some beginner live plants like Anubias barteri, Anubias petite, Amazon swords, and other easy plants. 

• Like 1