Community Tank Tetra Question

AAE

Hi!  I am considering how to stock my 100 gallon planted tank.  It will start with some guppies and platys.  I thought I might like a schooling fish and am considering Rummy Nose Tetras, Cardinals or Green Neon Tetras.  May I ask which of these you think would go best with the live bearers?  Thanks!

On 9/14/2024 at 11:21 AM, Tony s said:

For the hardness you’re going to need for the livebearers, greens will do much better. The other two would prefer softer water 

Good to know!

If I can pop in, what are you using for substrate? I'm setting up a planted platy tank and haven't decided yet, since I want the advantages of aquasoil but don't want the water to be too soft & acidic for the platys.

On 9/15/2024 at 12:35 AM, r_e_g said:

what are you using for substrate

I use caribsea gravel and root tabs in my platy tank. It doesn’t compact like sand. The platys don’t care. But I have hard water to start with. I suppose you could do a mix of aquasoil and crushed coral for substrate. Or use regular aqua soil and add crushed coral either on top or in a hob filter   

and for the green neons, my daughter picked some up from Joanna Adams (prime time aquatics and the small scape) at Aquashella in August. We still have all of them. In hard water. 

@Tony s, thanks for your info!  In case you may be interested, I am running an experiment of planting plants in pots amended with root tabs into gravel, with an undergravel filter.  I am injecting CO2.  Lots of tannins in the water from wood decor.  This is a low light tank.  Very little crypt melt back.  I add the guppies and platys currently in the QT next week.  I am feeling happy about the project thus far.

IMG_1059.jpeg

• Love 1

@Tony s, I look forward to hearing about your aqua soil experience if you decide to share.  I have never tried it.  I planted the pots (with root tab amendments) in the soil because I was told I cannot use root tabs in substrate with an undergravel filter.  I am hoping the substrate feeding plants will be well nourished for several months via the fertilizers that come in the rock wool as well as the root tabs, while the fish poop eventually creates a nutrient rich substrate.  My QT tank is bare bottom and I am impressed by the amount of waste produced by the fish, so here's hoping!

On 9/14/2024 at 10:31 PM, Tony s said:

I use caribsea gravel and root tabs in my platy tank. It doesn’t compact like sand. The platys don’t care. But I have hard water to start with. I suppose you could do a mix of aquasoil and crushed coral for substrate. Or use regular aqua soil and add crushed coral either on top or in a hob filter   

and for the green neons, my daughter picked some up from Joanna Adams (prime time aquatics and the small scape) at Aquashella in August. We still have all of them. In hard water. 

Thanks for the info! I'm very likely going to use one of the fine CaribSea gravels, either Peace River or Jungle River. I actually have a 40 lb bag of the Sunset Gold sand sitting around but I think it would be too fine for this purpose and end up showing a ton of platy poop! 

Glad to hear your green neons are doing well! They're such gorgeous fish & I'd love to have them someday!

• Like 1

On 9/15/2024 at 10:59 PM, r_e_g said:

Glad to hear your green neons are doing well! They're such gorgeous fish & I'd love to have them someday!

We went to Chicago aquashella with the purpose of meeting Jason and Joanna Adams (prime time aquatics, YouTube).  Joanna asked my daughter what was her favorite fish. She told her green neons. I’m not sure she really even knew what exactly that was, but it’s Joanna’s favorite too. My daughter is completely smitten with her now. We spent all weekend “Can we go back to Prime Time” She’s 9. Even gave out free hugs when we left. Joanna even posted her picture on YouTube. She actually got in 2 videos. The other was from Flip aquatics, when they were doing Jasons turn at shark riding. She was directly between Robert Lipton (flip) and Jason. So of course we had to buy as many as her tank would hold when we left. Been almost 2 months and all of them are still there, doing very well. And so, so impressed with Jason and Joanna. Really very nice people.

• Like 1

On 9/15/2024 at 8:16 PM, Tony s said:

We went to Chicago aquashella with the purpose of meeting Jason and Joanna Adams (prime time aquatics, YouTube).  Joanna asked my daughter what was her favorite fish. She told her green neons. I’m not sure she really even knew what exactly that was, but it’s Joanna’s favorite too. My daughter is completely smitten with her now. We spent all weekend “Can we go back to Prime Time” She’s 9. Even gave out free hugs when we left. Joanna even posted her picture on YouTube. She actually got in 2 videos. The other was from Flip aquatics, when they were doing Jasons turn at shark riding. She was directly between Robert Lipton (flip) and Jason. So of course we had to buy as many as her tank would hold when we left. Been almost 2 months and all of them are still there, doing very well. And so, so impressed with Jason and Joanna. Really very nice people.

That's so awesome to hear all of this! What an awesome experience for your kiddo. I wish her all the best with her tank!

• Thanks 1