Help! Discus spawned in my community tank!

tolstoy21

The fry are hanging around with the parents at the current moment, but I doubt they will last more than a few days at best given the other fish in the aquarium.

Can I net them out and raise them separate from the parents at this point in time, or is that doomed to failure? Can I remove the adults and the fry and relocate them safely?

Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by tolstoy21
  • Like 1

On 9/13/2024 at 9:50 AM, aquatica87 said:

Get a turkey baster and suck them out. As long as they make it past the slime coat phase they should be hardy enough and ready for microworms.

Thanks for the response, but too late. They have all become snacks for other fish at this point. Man what brutal world!

I might move these two discus out of the community tank and see if I can get them to breed again separate from all the hungry mouths.

• Like 1

On 9/13/2024 at 8:58 AM, tolstoy21 said:

Can I net them out and raise them separate from the parents at this point in time, or is that doomed to failure?

Sorry to hear they’ve been disappeared. I think you would have had to remove the community away from them. Don’t discus fry need the parents slime coat to feed from? But, yeah, now you have a proven pair! And potentially another breeding project to attempt. (Like any of us need more projects 🤣)

• Like 1

On 9/13/2024 at 11:28 AM, Tony s said:

Sorry to hear they’ve been disappeared. I think you would have had to remove the community away from them.

No worries. Nature happens. 

It's a heavily planted tank with lots of driftwood branches.  Netting out 60+ tetras in that would have been a nightmare.

I don't really want to breed discus other than get one spawn to adulthood so I can have more for my own aquarium without incurring the cost of buying more discus.  Plus my hope is that the next generation will be much more hardy in my specific conditions.

Anything that I raise up over the number I am looking to keep I will RAOK here.

Edited by tolstoy21
  • Love 2