Picking a C02 System?

So I am completely new to C02 but I am tired of algae in my tank and I want to grow more plants. I'm currently running a Fluval 3.0 on a 55g sand substrate.

I am more so getting this to make the algae a little less of a problem, but also because I can tell my plants are just not thriving.

Regardless there are just SO many options, I think i've decided between C02Art or GLA, leaning towards GLA but regardless both sites have SO many options (Like a bunch of manifolds/etc...? not sure what benefit those give).

I don't need something super duper high tech. I want to do a low and slow thing since I don't really plan on growing SUPER demanding plants. However I am just a bit overwhelmed at the different options.

So I guess C02Art vs GLA? and If so what "full system" should I go with a for a 55gallon tank.

I just recently got a co2 art regulator as my first. I’m liking it and my plants are growing stupid fast. I don’t think there’s really a bad option between the two. Whichever route you take I think a two stage regulator is the way to go. Make sure you have a way to check co2 concentration like a drop checker and take it super slow when dialing it in. I had a close call when I first installed it a few weeks back and ramped things up too fast. Luckily I was watching my tank and noticed what was going on pretty quick. I’d try to dial it in over a few days where you’re home if possible, and avoid making an adjustment and walking away. 

On 9/4/2024 at 10:24 PM, Mercfh said:

both sites have SO many options (Like a bunch of manifolds/etc...? not sure what benefit those give).

The manifolds allow you to have more than 1 bubble counter which allows a single regulator to split to more than 1 tank…. Ie I have 1 regulator that has 3 bubble counters on it allowing me to set three separate flow rates to three different tanks.  If you are only having 1 tank, there is no need for this.

When Ifirst started co2 supplementation I noticed a significant and quick reduction in algae in my tanks.  It was clearly noticeable…. And from that point I learned a lot more about how to control algae from reading the 2 hr Aquarist website on algae control.  

https://www.2hraquarist.com/blogs/algae-control

I have since applied lessons learned and now have 2 tanks running that are free of visible algae and do not have co2 injected in to them, they are mostly water top off tanks with maybe 10-15% water change every 4-6 weeks when I do a significant pruning, trim, replanting etc and that is mostly to allow working in the tank without water sloshing splashing etc….

the tanks without co2 grow ever so slowly compared to the supplemented tanks…

ie 6 weeks to get similar plant height growth vs 1 week in the supplemented.  In addition to plant height, the leef shape and size us more robust in the supplemented tanks…

co2 injection will not eliminate algae on its own,but I certainly found it made it so much easier to learn how to manage a tank to drastically reduce algae.  Due to everything happening quicker with co2, you quickly see results of different actions taken.  In a week or two you see if a change has had an effect.  In a non supplemented tank it woukd take closer to 4-6 weeks to see that change…

Now as to what regulator to buy…

I bought a CO2art one myself and have no real complaints over it…  but if I were buying one today, especially for 55 gallon and over size tank, I would like a flow meter vs a bubble counter.  Flow meters have a little ball in a tube that goes up and down a scale to show you how much gas is flowing.  Counting bubbles is a daunting task above 2-3 bubbles a second…  I would also pay the few extra dollars for a custom built set up by Alan Le.  @Mmiller2001 highly recmmends his regulators and can provide contact info..

IMO, learn to grow simple but healthy plants (this mainly requires knowledge in plant nutrition) before adding co2. Just adding injected Co2 is not the miracle grow solution it is made out to be and often complicates things. concentrate on planted tank fundamentals first. Add co2 when your plants are already thriving and you want to grow more difficult plants.

Edited by JoeQ
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

On 9/5/2024 at 8:47 AM, JoeQ said:

IMO, learn to grow simple but healthy plants (this mainly requires knowledge in plant nutrition) before adding co2

It just wasnt my experience personally.  I found adding CO2 was an aid to learning how to keep plants and help them to thrive, that then allowed me to take those skills and apply them to a non co2 supplemented tank and get it to thrive…

I suppose everybody learns differently…I just couldnt get Algae levels down with adjusting lights and nutrients and algae eating inhabitants…

But I have since figured out how to have success without injecting CO2…

On 9/5/2024 at 10:56 AM, Pepere said:

But I have since figured out how to have success without injecting CO2…

But just think of how much easier it would have been if you did it the otherway around!!! 🤣

My problem is for sure my lightning system is just too strong, i've turned it down to 6 hours but I still get insane hair algae. I feel like C02 just makes sense since I want to grow plants faster + I already have a good light.

On 9/6/2024 at 9:13 PM, Mercfh said:

My problem is for sure my lightning system is just too strong, i've turned it down to 6 hours but I still get insane hair algae. I feel like C02 just makes sense since I want to grow plants faster + I already have a good light.

Well, take a look at this tank…

image.jpeg.315a9ff3361c37388bdf959bdac36f20.jpeg

and check out this thread on Scapecrunch.com…

https://scapecrunch.com/threads/sudiorcas-non-co2-supplemented-softwater-tanks.295/

The poster starts the thread with several photos of his non co2 injected tanks that he runs with many of them running at 150 par at substrate level…

I have to say I am exceedingly impressed and I am studying the thread a fair amount…

On 9/6/2024 at 9:13 PM, Mercfh said:

You might want to consider other factors for your hair algae issue. 6 hours seems like an incredibly short photo period which allows algae to thrive from ambient room lighting while higher level plants can not help defend against algae during this period. In my case the cause of my hair algae was simply from over feeding my tank which took me years to notice!

Edited by JoeQ
  • Like 1

On 9/7/2024 at 5:59 AM, Pepere said:

Well, take a look at this tank…

image.jpeg.315a9ff3361c37388bdf959bdac36f20.jpeg

and check out this thread on Scapecrunch.com…

https://scapecrunch.com/threads/sudiorcas-non-co2-supplemented-softwater-tanks.295/

The poster starts the thread with several photos of his non co2 injected tanks that he runs with many of them running at 150 par at substrate level…

I have to say I am exceedingly impressed and I am studying the thread a fair amount…

Wow that's without c02? That's crazy nice.