Parasite ID / Treatment?

Hello everyone!

So I have a 31 gallon community tank that has been running for about a month or so. They’ve been eating brine shrimp, bloodworms, and vibrabites. Everything has been pretty copacetic but one rainbowfish and two pearl gouramis never have seemed to gain weight like the others. Within the last week, the entire tank seems to have lost their appetite (went from feeding 2+ cubes to barely a half). Instead of everyone scarfing the food out of my hand, they are just picking at it and spitting it out. They are older juveniles so perhaps they’re just getting older? However, I’ve also noticed the one turquoise rainbow and the gouramis are very dark and not showing their normal colors with some fin clamping. I noticed the same symptoms with discus a few years ago and I believe they ended up succumbIng to parasites. The tank has been cycling but the nitrates and nitrates have been reasonable. The temp and ph have also been stable. With the pics below, do y’all think this is parasites or something else? The fish below are the 3 I’m most concerned about. Thanks for the advice! 🙏

IMG_4546.jpeg

IMG_4544.jpeg

IMG_4547.jpeg

Edited by Stinson Beach Aquatics

0.5 of nitrite could be causing the loss of appetite if you have nitrite you will usually have ammonia i would test your ammonia so I would focus of getting your tank cycled before using medication I would do daily water changes and add a double dose of prime or fritz complete to help detoxify any ammonia or nitrite every time you detect nitrite or ammonia till it constantly stays at zero @Stinson Beach Aquatics

Edited by Colu

On 9/4/2024 at 7:06 PM, Stinson Beach Aquatics said:

Okay, I’ve been dosing with Microbe Lift Nite Out II starter bacteria but the water changes make sense. I’m not sure what is causing the weight loss and dark color though…

I would deal with one thing at a time once your water parameters are stable if there still not putting on weight and spitting food out then I would treat with expel p active ingredient levamisole once a week for 3 weeks