Aquaclear 30 HOB

So I am going to buy an Aquaclear 30 HOB soon which are quite hard to get in the UK even though I’ve found one. My question is because of this I am worried that if I ever need to replace anything I won’t be able to get it in the UK rendering the filter useless. Are the only things that need to be replaced (unless the filter breaks in which case I would need an actual part) the foam, carbon and biomax? Also do I need the ammonia remover and zeocarb? I don’t think the filter comes with these. Thanks

• Like 1

On 8/30/2024 at 8:38 PM, Cjbear087 said:

Also do I need the ammonia remover and zeocarb? I don’t think the filter comes with these

It doesn’t. Those are chemical filtration. And whether or not to use them is completely up to you. Some people never touch chemicals. I use purigen in my dark, unplanted tank. And chemi pure green in my 75g inside an fx2. Do you need it? Probably not. But it can depend on how diligent you are with your water changes 

Edited by Tony s
  • Like 1

You never really have to replace the foam or Biomax. Just rinse and reuse them. For me, with Aquaclear filters, the motor shaft would fail over time. It would take a few years, but the filter impeller would start to need a push to get going and then the stainless steel shaft would get so eroded that the filter just wouldn't work. I didn't want to pay $20 for a little stainless steel shaft every couple of years so I gave up on the Aquaclears.

• Like 2