Freshwater Sump softwater filter/remineralizarion

NateT

Hello all, looking for advice on the right 3 10 inch water filter for my continuous drip system for my 300 gal Central American Cichlid tank. Going with Custom Aquariums 81 gal sump and will be installing overflow drain as well (https://youtu.be/GVwCA_Zc4L4?si=Zc2YD5PZ1u9AuVGc).

Of course my water parameters are different than One More Fish video above but copying most of his design. Just need some suggestions on best cartridge filter to replace having to use Seachem Equilibrium since I'll be constantly adding/changing out 1 gal per hour. Would something like this work?  https://www.lowes.com/pd/A-O-Smith-Clean-Water-System-with-RO-and-Microbial-Boost-Set-Under-Sink-Replacement-Filter/1000559507

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Edited by NateT

Thus, for the 300-gal Central American Cichlid tank, you should get yourself a standard 10-inch water filter. What you linked to as the A-O Smith Clean Water System is intended for drinking water not fish tanks.

Consider these options:

API Tap Water Filter
Seachem Purfiltrum
Aquatic Life RO Buddie
Some factors that should however be considered while choosing include the flow rate of the filter, its life and the cost of replacing it. Also, it is pertinent to check that the filter is suitable to your Custom Aquariums 81 gal sump and the overflow drain.

Is the filter just to remove chlorine or chloramine? If so, I’ve been happy with the  growonix mini scrub. Has a sediment and a kdf carbon filter. Removes all the chloramine from my water. I have it plumbed as an auto top off to my 100gal patio pond and can divert it for doing water changes on my other tanks. It uses 3/8” push connect which are so easy to plumb. 

Actually, just trying to add minerals back into the constant drip as I only have access to softened (Kinetico water softener) well water. Since I'll be introducing softened water at 1 gallon per hour, there's no way for me to keep up using Seachem Equilibrium like I do with all my other tanks. I'm just having a hard time finding a 3 stage assembly for carbon, sediment, and remineralizarion 10 inch filters that actually have 3 gauges. 

On 8/31/2024 at 12:00 PM, lefty o said:

if you dont want the softened water, why not get your water  from before where the water softener enters the system? maybe its not practical to run new lines, idk.

Correct, hardwater is not available on that side of the house (on slab).

On 9/1/2024 at 8:02 AM, HomeBroodExotics said:

I think you want something like this remineralization filter. 
https://a.co/d/88fBien

Exactly thank you! Bought it last night w/ a 3 stage 10 inch filters bowl assy for sediment and 2 carbon blockers. Also got multiple psi reducers to get the system down to 1 gal per hour. Went to my LFS and they almost had me into APEX which is way to much money for freshwater imo.

• Like 1