When exactly to add aeration in low tech aquarium

On 8/29/2024 at 10:38 AM, teambedell said:

So to confirm, besides not running an air stone when you ARE injecting CO2 due to off gassing it too quickly, the fish are getting all the O2 they need from just the plants and filter during the day from increased photosynthesis. And in a low tech aquarium, the plants aren’t giving off as much O2, to where supplementing an air stone is a good idea all the time. Correct?

I run air driven UGF plates in my CO2 injected tanks.  I dont see a noticeable difference in co2 consumption between that one, and my other co2 injected tank.

I feel running an airstone is a good idea in all tanks myself.  And I run them all 24/7

On 8/29/2024 at 9:47 AM, Pepere said:

I run air driven UGF plates in my CO2 injected tanks.  I dont see a noticeable difference in co2 consumption between that one, and my other co2 injected tank.

I feel running an airstone is a good idea in all tanks myself.  And I run them all 24/7

This might be a dumb question, as I’m just getting back into the hobby. I was quite knowledgeable with the information available at the time in the 80’s and 90’s. It’s a different hobby today, for sure! But how do you know what a plants CO2 consumption is? Just by its growth speed? Thanks!

Something that wasn't mentioned was the additional flow a bubbler brings. This is also an important factor to keeping healthy water, if you frame the aquarium hobby this way it takes the complexity out of plant/fish keeping. You keep healthy water, it just so happens plants & fish also thrive in the healthy water you keep! 

Edited by JoeQ
  • Confused 1

On 8/29/2024 at 9:57 AM, JoeQ said:

Something that wasn't mentioned was the additional flow a bubbler brings. This is also an important factor to keeping healthy water, if you frame the aquarium hobby this way it takes the complexity out of plant/fish keeping. You keep healthy water, it just so happens plants & fish also thrive in the healthy water you keep! 

Just kidding… thanks 👍🏻

On 8/29/2024 at 10:38 AM, teambedell said:

And in a low tech aquarium, the plants aren’t giving off as much O2, to where supplementing an air stone is a good idea all the time. Correct?

Sounds about right 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/29/2024 at 10:54 AM, teambedell said:

But how do you know what a plants CO2 consumption is? Just by its growth speed? Thanks

Pretty much I am looking at a tanks consumption of CO2.  I inject co2 at a rate sufficient to reach an equilibrium of a ph drop of 1 from degassed water, and not drop further.

I have a 29 gallon tank with air driven UGF plates and 1 without.  The both have similar bubble count rate with the bubble counters.  Ie I flow roughly the same volume of CO2 into each tank.

• Like 2

On 8/29/2024 at 3:33 PM, teambedell said:

I posted a confused face on one of your posts, but it was a joke… caulk it up to a bad delivery…

It's from the loss of non verbal communication! 

I'm sure in person it would of gotten a chuckle!! 

Cheers 

Good luck with the tank! 

• Thanks 1

On 8/29/2024 at 11:12 PM, shawnkissed said:

I have a no tech tank and I never had a problem. This is my experience though. My tank is heavily planted.

I haven't had any problems either. I just research regularly and am always looking for ways to improve, and dial it in.