Has aqueon changed up their build process recently?

I may just be unlucky; however I recently have gone through two aqueon 20 gallon long tanks in 6 months. Both tanks purchased through two different suppliers though chain stores. Both times I managed to prevent catastrophic failure, but as someone who has been in the hobby for years this is a first for me. From my experience, where as long as a tank doesn’t leak within the first couple days, I can usually depend on it unless user error.

A bit of background, I had to replace an old aqueon 20 gallon long that lasted many years with no issue and this is where the adventure began. The first replacement aqueon tank developed a small seal leak within 2 months of use, and the most recent one developed a stress crack along one of the corners of the tank. Stand it was on is the old stand that housed my original tank for years and is level. My only theory is frequent water changes of 20-30% put undo stress on the thin glass. Though my original aqueon handled that fine no problem.

At this point I am debating just dishing out the money for a custom-made tank like youtube personality Ben Ochart did a couple weeks ago when two of his recent purchased aqueon 55 gallon tanks failed around the same time. You can see in his recent videos; he had industrial clamps on them to prevent blow out.

So wanted to ask if its just my turn to be added to the statistics for tank failures or if something is up with recent aqueon tanks (built within the past year).

On 8/25/2024 at 1:58 PM, IntrepidUT99 said:

I may just be unlucky; however I recently have gone through two aqueon 20 gallon long tanks in 6 months. Both tanks purchased through two different suppliers though chain stores. Both times I managed to prevent catastrophic failure, but as someone who has been in the hobby for years this is a first for me. From my experience, where as long as a tank doesn’t leak within the first couple days, I can usually depend on it unless user error.

A bit of background, I had to replace an old aqueon 20 gallon long that lasted many years with no issue and this is where the adventure began. The first replacement aqueon tank developed a small seal leak within 2 months of use, and the most recent one developed a stress crack along one of the corners of the tank. Stand it was on is the old stand that housed my original tank for years and is level. My only theory is frequent water changes of 20-30% put undo stress on the thin glass. Though my original aqueon handled that fine no problem.

At this point I am debating just dishing out the money for a custom-made tank like youtube personality Ben Ochart did a couple weeks ago when two of his recent purchased aqueon 55 gallon tanks failed around the same time. You can see in his recent videos; he had industrial clamps on them to prevent blow out.

So wanted to ask if its just my turn to be added to the statistics for tank failures or if something is up with recent aqueon tanks (built within the past year).

Wow sorry that you experienced that twice. When I looked at the the seams of thin silicone on Aqueon aquariums made me feel nervous. After what you have experienced I would definitely buy another brand. @IntrepidUT99

On 8/25/2024 at 2:59 PM, Tlindsey said:

Wow sorry that you experienced that twice. When I looked at the the seams of thin silicone on Aqueon aquariums made me feel nervous. After what you have experienced I would definitely buy another brand. @IntrepidUT99

I personally would check my stand to make sure it's level. 

I got my 75gal. in Jan. and have had no issues. I read a post awhile back where a tank at the bottom was not flat. one conner was off the stand. To check that the tank would have to be on a know flat surface like a sheet of glass. For what it is worth my tank (stand) is a 1/8 inch lower on the right side it didn't show up until I filled it up I think the carpet settled more on one side but it has been that way from day one. It could be there small tanks are not put together as well I don't know or maybe they had a bad batch but none of this helps your issue sorry.