How to care for triops and what plants to use.

I’m considering getting some triops and I was wondering if you can keep them in a 2 or 3.5 gallon cube. I plan on using a fine sand substrate and for filtration a sponge filter. I have very soft water so should I add crushed coral at some point to add minerals? What food should I use? Do I need an heater? Can scuds live with them? Also what plants should I use. I read that they will eat plants and I’m not sure if I should dry that tank out when they die or just remove some of the sand.

If you know something that I should know that I didn’t ask about please tell me I have no experience with any kind of crustacean.

• Love 1

Not an expert on triop care but I have kept them before. I want to try to do what you're doing one day. 

On 8/22/2024 at 9:39 PM, Mississippi fish guy said:

have very soft water so should I add crushed coral at some point to add minerals?

I'm 90% sure you should. Triops are crustaceans and will need minerals in the water. I usually add limestone. Never tried crushed coral. Hard water is significant in the growing stages but also significant in their adulthood too. They will molt every so often so it's crucial that they have hardy water with plenty of calcium.

What food should I use?

Triops usually aren't too picky. I have fed them flour and spirulina in their young years. I'm sure they would appreciate some bloodworms or something like that when they're older but they won't turn up vegetation either. They are scavengers in their natural habitat so they'll eat algae, live or frozen bloodworms, maybe even blanched zucchini or green beans. Never tried that before. Wouldn't hurt to give it a try.

Do I need an heater?

Yes, you need a heater. They'll like 76-82 Fahrenheit degree water. Again, I haven't did any study about what they thrive in and don't but they do enjoy some warmer water.  I would aim for 78.

Can scuds live with them?

Never kept scuds so I can't help you there. I don't know if they would eat them if they are close in size to them, but keep in mind triops can even eat each other!

Also what plants should I use.

I also can't help you there either, sorry. I would probably try hard plants like anubias as I figure they would have a harder time eating them. Don't know for sure though. Also I heard they will eat marimo moss (or should I say algae) balls lol. Could be a food source!

On 8/23/2024 at 3:20 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

@Matt B any tips on triops care?

Ah Triops,  For such a short lived vernal pool creature, ( 3 months)  they are very entertaining!! :classic_biggrin:  I would actually recommend starting with one of the kits! :classic_biggrin: It will teach you all the basics and get you started!  After I hatch them in a tupperware container with a heat lamp, I transfer them to a 3.5 gal cube with a nano Co-Op sponge filter, a small heater and horticulture sand, (basically small gravel) which they constantly sift through. They are really cool swimmers! As far as their diet, not picky! :classic_laugh:...everything from carrots, to fish food.  

Screenshot_20240823_193719_Amazon Shopping.jpg

• Like 1