Old 20L in great shape, safe to use?

Gannon

Hello! About a year ago I was given a 20 gallon long aquarium. It’s fairly old and a brand I don’t even recognize. Certainly an aquarium. 

it was used as a snake enclosure for a few years and has since been empty. The tank is virtually spotless.

I filled it a couple times outside over the course of the last year and let it sit for a few days and saw no sign of leakage.

I finally have the time to set it up for shell dwellers. Would you trust it?

If the silicone still feels pliant, yeah. If it's old, it's probably better made than what you can get today. If you can rig a moisture sensor near it. I'd probably do that too. But, then again, a new tank is probably what? 40$. But for a dedicated shell dweller tank, Yeah, i probably would

• Like 2

On 8/16/2024 at 9:25 PM, Tony s said:

If the silicone still feels pliant, yeah. If it's old, it's probably better made than what you can get today. If you can rig a moisture sensor near it. I'd probably do that too. But, then again, a new tank is probably what? 40$. But for a dedicated shell dweller tank, Yeah, i probably would

How would I tell if it feels pliant? And are you saying you would replace it or that you would trust it?

I actually managed to find a tag on it that says 2010, so it can’t be as old as my coworker seemed to believe it was. Also says built by DMP with a ship anchor icon on it.

cant believe I never looked at it too close until now haha

• Haha 1

On 8/16/2024 at 10:29 PM, Gannon said:

How would I tell if it feels pliant? And are you saying you would replace it or that you would trust it?

Well, now let's try to be less ambiguous, shall I. pliant silicone would still have a bit of give to it. Feel kind of rubbery. Old, worn-out silicone would'nt have that rubbery give to it. Kind of stiff and unyielding. And yeah, with the sensor in near it, I'd try it.

Depending on its age, be kind of cool to have an old tank

On 8/16/2024 at 9:33 PM, Tony s said:

Well, now let's try to be less ambiguous, shall I. pliant silicone would still have a bit of give to it. Feel kind of rubbery. Old, worn-out silicone would'nt have that rubbery give to it. Kind of stiff and unyielding. And yeah, with the sensor in near it, I'd try it.

Depending on its age, be kind of cool to have an old tank

I just edited the last reply to say it’s 14 years old as I just found out, so not as old as I was told and the silicon certainly feels fairly rubbery

• Like 1

On 8/16/2024 at 10:40 PM, Gannon said:

I just edited the last reply to say it’s 14 years old as I just found out

So, you're probably good then. Still, would have been cool to have an antique tank. 😄

• Like 1

On 8/16/2024 at 9:43 PM, Tony s said:

So, you're probably good then. Still, would have been cool to have an antique tank. 😄

I 100% agree! I’ve been looking for a metal frame one like in serpa design’s video. It looks so fantastic. 

• Love 1