Floating Plants

I wouldnt be buying Duckweed.  If you want Duckweed, just wait and it will show up by surprise in your tank without ever buying it….  I hate Duckweed and it has shown up three separate times in 2 years..  miserable stuff to eradicate….

I like water lettuce.  I have it in a non co2 tank.  I thin it out weekly.  I have also had Salvinia which is also easy to cull…

I have never had any other floating plant appear by surprise other than duckweed…

Edited by Pepere
  • Like 1

Hornwort! I am a convert now. At first, I thought I would have trouble if it starts melting, but I find that compared to water sprite or water wisteria (neither of which stay alive for me), it is easier to take out of tank because it is still in a strand not in many pieces. Usually IF hornwort melts, I can catch it early enough that it stays intact. But, nowadays, it is well-adjusted to my water that there us little to no melt. I just am careful to handle it gently when taking out of the tank, or I just push it to the side. It is also less likely to stick to my arms.

Edited by HelplessNewbie

On 8/14/2024 at 3:56 PM, Louise02 said:

I would like to buy floating plants for three aquariums: betta, guppy, NeoCardia Shrimp.  I would really like to buy a small quantity of a variety of plants.  I cannot keep water sprite alive, so something different would be good.  Any suggestions?

Hornwort, or water wisteria are great! Frog bit, and water lettuce like @JoeQ and @Pepere has mentioned are good ones too! Good options.

I recently started using Brazilian Pennywort and love it. Super cool plant and super easy.

Also love water lettuce, guppy grass and Pearlweed (actually one of my favorites because it just creates a big “mat” which I think is awesome).

There’s also a plant pack on Etsy with 4 different kinds of floating plants for 15 bucks I believe.

On 8/15/2024 at 9:34 PM, EricksonAquatics said:

I recently started using Brazilian Pennywort and love it. Super cool plant and super easy.

Also love water lettuce, guppy grass and Pearlweed (actually one of my favorites because it just creates a big “mat” which I think is awesome).

There’s also a plant pack on Etsy with 4 different kinds of floating plants for 15 bucks I believe.

That is cool! I never tried pearlweed as a floater! I will have to give her a try! And brazilian pennywort.

• Like 1