Pool sand filter

Tom Perry

I’m going to try and use a pool sand filter on a 180 gallon aquarium. I sometimes think I’m crazy but I have this wild idea that it will work. I’ve done some research and most of the public aquariums that I have contacted. Use a form of a sand filter. I guess what I’m saying is I need somebody to talk me out of this experiment or agree that it’s a worthwhile endeavor. Thank you.

What are you looking for mechanical or biological? Sand filters or any moving bed kind of filter are great for processing ammonia but for me ammonia is never the problem. I mainly just want particles out of the water. If I had a big tank I probably would be looking at static k1 filter or an up lift filter. Those use k1 media to mechanically filter the water ( not moving the media) and can filter down to a pretty small micron. Then to clean it you turn off the pump, turn on an air stone and have some kind of drain in the bottom to drain the muck. 

• Like 2

Thanks for the advice and help 

On 8/12/2024 at 11:06 PM, Tony s said:

There really isn’t a reason why it wouldn’t work. Maybe just a bit of overkill though.

Thanks I think you’re right. Maybe it’s a little overkill maybe a small smaller container or a smaller pool filter might do the same. I think I just wanna try it and see if it works but thanks for the information and the support.

• Love 1

Ace has really nice golden colored pool sand.

Still has to be rinse. Wife talked to me into trying one tank without rinsing sand and it's still floating particles after a year and more than a half dozen water changes..

Edited by gabdewulf

On 8/13/2024 at 6:58 AM, gabdewulf said:

Ace has really nice golden colored pool sand.

Still has to be rinse. Wife talked to me into trying one tank without rinsing sand and it's still floating particles after a year and more than a half dozen water changes..

I've used at least two brands of pool filter sand that I bought from swimming pool supply stores.  I didn't rinse either one.  One had a very small amount of cloudiness that was cleared up the next morning, and the other one didn't have any.  It seems to be cleaner than the pool filter sand sold at the chain stores.

• Like 1

On 8/13/2024 at 7:40 AM, HelplessNewbie said:

I sm curious as to the design of such a filter. Following!

Okay, I read a little about pool filters and their use in aquariums. This is an interesting choice for large tanks. I only have small tanks, so, I will likely stick with sponge, ugf and diy internal pump filters.

Good luck!

Edited by HelplessNewbie

Question to ask, would the sand create an anaerobic environment? On the negative side, it will be a noisy filter. A 1/3 HP motor would use 5x more power than a Fluval FX6. 

On a positive note, typically pool filters use a Multiport Valve value, this allows you do clean the filter by backwashing (flushing). For pools, backwashing the filter too much is not good, all the organic material in the sand helps with filtering. But a pool loaded with chlorine is quite different than a living 180 gallon aquarium, I don't think this is a problem. So when doing a water change, just backwash the filter then refill up the tank!  

Just an idea to consider, use pool filter sand and K3 or K1 Bio Filter media.  The idea here, the K3 media is well aerated for bio-filtration, let the sand do the mechanical filtration. The sand should settle on the bottom of the filter.  There may be a problem, the K1-3  media goes into the multiport value when backwashing.

I believe the multiport value includes an option to run the water thru the top of the filter (rinse option?) ie: water enter and exits from the top. So if the K3 media gets buried in the sand, just run the filter on the rinse option. 

A small amount of pool sand will make it into the aquarium. Use the same sand for the substrate and no worries.  

I think this is a great idea. By backflushing the filter once a week, you can remove organic material before it breaks down into ammonia. 

On 8/13/2024 at 12:33 AM, Markp2483 said:

Those use k1 media to mechanically filter the water ( not moving the media) and can filter down to a pretty small micron.

K1 media is used for bio-filtration. I am a bit confused on this statement. 

Edited by madmark285
  • Like 1

K1 media can be used in a fluidize media setup or in a static setup. Look at an evolution aqua tempest. That’s an uplift filter using static k1 media to capture solids. There are other ways you can make static beds using k1  in sumps.

I did make a mistake thinking pool sand filters are fluidized sand filters they are not. They are primarily mechanical filters. They do need more regular maintenance as they can be prone to channeling or bio fouling 

• Like 2

More research. you can turn a pool sand filter into basically a bead filter and can use k1 like material as long as it sinking media instead of floating media. (they make it both styles). 

In short give the sand a try and if that becomes a hassle you can switch it out for any sinking bead filter media. Those medias don't have the issues with channeling or bio fouling and should require less regular backwashing.

• Like 2

Thanks, I learn something new today. 

So one more thought on this, you may be able to run the pool filter in an uplift configuration. For filtering operation, set the multiport value to backwash and connect the return line to the backwash hose connector. To clean the filter, set the value to normal operation with the discharge hose connect to the other connector. 

You may be able to create a fluidized bed filter in this configuration.

• Like 1