Cherry Barb and LWCMM in 20 Gallon Long Tank?

I have a 20 gallon long tank with a few fake plants and two medium-sized gobi rocks along with a Tidal 55 filter and fake rock background.  It's currently empty and I'd like to put some Cherry Barbs and Longfin White Cloud Mountain Minnows in it.  What would be best - choosing one fish at a certain quantity or putting in a smaller quantity of both?  I'd like to have both, but am curiuos of what the best amount of each fish would work best if I did both.

I like to start with small group of one fish. With the size of the tank in mind, how many are you wanting of both in the end? In small tanks I might just add all of one of the fish and do the other later.

White clouds are very tough. I've never managed to kill one, start the tank off with those. 8 in a 20L is a modest number. Get you some algae cleaners and then the barbs.

• Like 2

On 8/9/2024 at 10:12 PM, Jovius said:

I like to start with small group of one fish. With the size of the tank in mind, how many are you wanting of both in the end? In small tanks I might just add all of one of the fish and do the other later.

Would just like whatever is best for rhe fish.  How about 10 of rhe white cloud minnows and 10 cherry shrimp to start?  Could I add cherry barbs in addition or would that be too much?

On 8/10/2024 at 1:00 AM, MWilk said:

White clouds are very tough. I've never managed to kill one, start the tank off with those. 8 in a 20L is a modest number. Get you some algae cleaners and then the barbs.

I have a 20 G not 20L to confirm.  I was thinking 10-12 of those and maybe 10 cherry shrimp or so?  Would I have room for cherry barbs too?

On 8/10/2024 at 5:16 AM, johnnyxxl said:

The otocinclus catfish are great grazers for small tanks.

I'll look into them..thanks!

Sorry, 20L is a 20 Long. 

Do you have any live plants? I personally wouldn’t get any shrimp without having plants growing first. 

White clouds are what I use to cycle new tanks, they just end up sticking around forever because they are so hardy. They’re beautiful fish. Right now in my 20L I have a male that is almost solid red, very good looking dude. 

Cherry shrimp, cherry barbs, white clouds, that’s a lot of red. 

Sorry, 20L is a 20 Long. 

Do you have any live plants? I personally wouldn’t get any shrimp without having plants growing first. 

White clouds are what I use to cycle new tanks, they just end up sticking around forever because they are so hardy. They’re beautiful fish. Right now in my 20L I have a male that is almost solid red, very good looking dude. 

Cherry shrimp, cherry barbs, white clouds, that’s a lot of red. 

It really just depends on how often you feel like doing maintenance. Cherry barbs will coexist with the shrimp well, but may prey on the shrimplets. Life plants will process nitrate out and keep the cycle going better so you don’t have to change water as often. 

Cherry shrimp practically have zero bio load to them. 8-10 of each fish and a dozen shrimp would do just fine, but I do recommend some live plants be added for the shrimp to live in. 

On 8/11/2024 at 7:34 PM, MWilk said:

It really just depends on how often you feel like doing maintenance. Cherry barbs will coexist with the shrimp well, but may prey on the shrimplets. Life plants will process nitrate out and keep the cycle going better so you don’t have to change water as often. 

Cherry shrimp practically have zero bio load to them. 8-10 of each fish and a dozen shrimp would do just fine, but I do recommend some live plants be added for the shrimp to live in. 

On 8/11/2024 at 8:11 PM, johnnyxxl said:

I recommend dense plants like guppy grass or moss for the shrimp to hide in 

Thank you!  I may end up doing a separate 10 gallon tank with live plants and only shrimp.  Still tossing around options and wondering what would be best for me.  Again, thank you for the information!