Lighting Recommendations

Hi everyone,

I think I need a different light for my betta fish tank and was looking for recommendations. I’m currently using the Aqueon Clip-on LED for planted aquariums, and it seems to be too bright for my little 6 gallon tank. My betta can see himself in the glass tank and was flaring at himself non-stop so I had to stop using the white lights. I’ve been using the nighttime setting so only the blue lights are on. I thought of covering the tank to reduce the reflection but then I’d have to do that for the entire tank because he’ll just flare in every direction. Are there any lights I can buy that aren’t too bright but still allow me to grow plants?

Thanks!

first off my light is 4 foot long but it has brightness control and ramps up and down I'm sure someone should make one for your size. You could try to put something between the light and tank top to dampen or filter how much light gets through like some screen mesh or ground cloth. Aquick google search will give plenty of them. 

https://www.amazon.com/Light-Dimmable-Aquatic-Plants-Keeping/dp/B0BZQPPTRF

Edited by Airborne 82nd

The Finnex stingray clip on light is pretty small, cheap and not very bright. It’ll grow low light plants like crypts, anubias, Java fern etc in small tanks though! You can get it on Amazon as well

But the best light I’ve had is by far the Aquarium Co-Op Easy LED. It’s adjustable so you can dim it down super low and crank it up to grow alllllll the plants 🙂 Definitely pricier but it’s actually cheaper than most lights similar to it. 

On 8/8/2024 at 1:46 PM, Summer Lotus said:

Hi everyone,

I think I need a different light for my betta fish tank and was looking for recommendations. I’m currently using the Aqueon Clip-on LED for planted aquariums, and it seems to be too bright for my little 6 gallon tank. My betta can see himself in the glass tank and was flaring at himself non-stop so I had to stop using the white lights. I’ve been using the nighttime setting so only the blue lights are on. I thought of covering the tank to reduce the reflection but then I’d have to do that for the entire tank because he’ll just flare in every direction. Are there any lights I can buy that aren’t too bright but still allow me to grow plants?

Thanks!

I have the same light but on a 10 gallon (and a few other nano tanks) and it was wicked bright for that too! I bought a riser off of amazon for like 10 bucks. It is a 4-inch riser, but you can find different sizes. My mystery snails wouldn't come out, it was that bright. It was also so bright that it was frying my java ferns! Anyway, the riser fixed the issue with the snails and helped with the fern's growth but a full covering of salvinia sealed the deal. 

You might be able to salvage it without having to buy another light. 

I have some hygger clip on lights too, but they haven't fared well. They timers are wonky. Some drift and others outright fail. Plus, they get HOT.

On 8/8/2024 at 12:05 PM, Kit Craft said:

I have the same light but on a 10 gallon (and a few other nano tanks) and it was wicked bright for that too! I bought a riser off of amazon for like 10 bucks. It is a 4-inch riser, but you can find different sizes. My mystery snails wouldn't come out, it was that bright. It was also so bright that it was frying my java ferns! Anyway, the riser fixed the issue with the snails and helped with the fern's growth but a full covering of salvinia sealed the deal. 

You might be able to salvage it without having to buy another light

I have some hygger clip on lights too, but they haven't fared well. They timers are wonky. Some drift and others outright fail. Plus, they get HOT.

Well, at least now I know that upgrading my tank to a 10 gallon tank won't solve the problem! Poor mystery snails. Which riser did you end up getting? The cheapest one I see on Amazon is $18, and I'm not sure if it's durable.

I was tempted to get a hygger clip on light but glad I didn't based on what you've told me.

On 8/8/2024 at 10:53 PM, Summer Lotus said:

Well, at least now I know that upgrading my tank to a 10 gallon tank won't solve the problem! Poor mystery snails. Which riser did you end up getting? The cheapest one I see on Amazon is $18, and I'm not sure if it's durable.

I was tempted to get a hygger clip on light but glad I didn't based on what you've told me.

The name on the box is Belmaks. 

As for the hygger clip lights, it is a shame because they are supper well sized for a lot of my projects.