Yoyo Loach: Parasite, or am I Paranoid?

pH: 7.0

Nitrates: 0

Nitrite: 0

Ammonia: 0

Water Temperature: 75 Degrees Farenheit

Tank Size: 29gal

Hey all, 

I'm a relatively new young aquarium hobbyist and I'm currently in a tailspin trying to figure out if one of my juvenile yoyo loaches has a parasite/ "Skinny Disease." I've had two of them for a good 3-4 months now, (Named Uno and Dos, very creative names, I know) and while Uno has gotten significantly bigger and plumper, Dos has stayed relatively little and pale. I didn't realize the disparity between them until a few weeks ago, (although Uno has always been a smidge bigger) and now I'm wondering if Dos perhaps has what I have heard been called "Skinny Disease." 

Symptoms:

Dos likes to rest on the tunnels/shelves in my aquarium, but he still swims around quite efficiently-just not quite as manic as Uno. He is incredibly pale, almost translucent, and rail-thin. He does have an appetite still, I watched him devour some brine shrimp the other day and he had a cute round belly for a day after before becoming thin again. He's pretty shy, but still comes out for food and swims around unafraid. I haven't seen him bobbing at the top or laying in a concerning way. His fins don't appear clamped, and his gills aren't red or flaring.

Does he have a parasite, or am I just hating on a loach with an incredibly snatched waist? More importantly, if he is sick, is there any way to help him? I'm also worried if the other inhabitants in my tank are at risk. All of them are plump and healthy, but I know stuff can go sideways really quick. (I have the aforementioned two yo-yos, four Khuli Loaches, four platys, and 3 platy babies.)

Attached is a picture of the two Yoyos, Uno on top and Dos on the bottom. I hope I included the right information! Thanks in advance! 😅20240805_141045.jpg.bd5f0a29996df0eb206e4d8b6a49d715.jpg

On 8/6/2024 at 4:05 AM, the-bees-of-autumn said:

pH: 7.0

Nitrates: 0

Nitrite: 0

Ammonia: 0

Water Temperature: 75 Degrees Farenheit

Tank Size: 29gal

Hey all, 

I'm a relatively new young aquarium hobbyist and I'm currently in a tailspin trying to figure out if one of my juvenile yoyo loaches has a parasite/ "Skinny Disease." I've had two of them for a good 3-4 months now, (Named Uno and Dos, very creative names, I know) and while Uno has gotten significantly bigger and plumper, Dos has stayed relatively little and pale. I didn't realize the disparity between them until a few weeks ago, (although Uno has always been a smidge bigger) and now I'm wondering if Dos perhaps has what I have heard been called "Skinny Disease." 

Symptoms:

Dos likes to rest on the tunnels/shelves in my aquarium, but he still swims around quite efficiently-just not quite as manic as Uno. He is incredibly pale, almost translucent, and rail-thin. He does have an appetite still, I watched him devour some brine shrimp the other day and he had a cute round belly for a day after before becoming thin again. He's pretty shy, but still comes out for food and swims around unafraid. I haven't seen him bobbing at the top or laying in a concerning way. His fins don't appear clamped, and his gills aren't red or flaring.

Does he have a parasite, or am I just hating on a loach with an incredibly snatched waist? More importantly, if he is sick, is there any way to help him? I'm also worried if the other inhabitants in my tank are at risk. All of them are plump and healthy, but I know stuff can go sideways really quick. (I have the aforementioned two yo-yos, four Khuli Loaches, four platys, and 3 platy babies.)

Attached is a picture of the two Yoyos, Uno on top and Dos on the bottom. I hope I included the right information! Thanks in advance! 😅20240805_141045.jpg.bd5f0a29996df0eb206e4d8b6a49d715.jpg

He looks very thin what are you feeding and how often any rapid breathing hanging out near the surface lethargy flashing spitting food out  white stringy poop 

• Like 2

On 8/6/2024 at 4:45 AM, Colu said:

He looks very thin what are you feeding and how often any rapid breathing hanging out near the surface lethargy flashing spitting food out  white stringy poop 

No rapid breathing, flashing, or surface lingering. He still eats well as far as I can see. He doesn't lay around *all* day, but his activity is certainly minimal compared to the other fish in the tank. I'd day he lays on a shelf about 60% of the day, and moseys around the other 40%.

...His poop is pretty pale and stringy now you mention it. Decidedly so. 😬

I have sinking shrimp based patties/pellets that both the Yoyos and Khulis eat. I supplement this with freezedried and sometimes fresh brine shrimp, freezedried bloodworms, and Fluval Bug Bites. Sometimes I'll throw in a Veggie wafer for variety, but they're not as into those.

On 8/6/2024 at 1:38 PM, the-bees-of-autumn said:

No rapid breathing, flashing, or surface lingering. He still eats well as far as I can see. He doesn't lay around *all* day, but his activity is certainly minimal compared to the other fish in the tank. I'd day he lays on a shelf about 60% of the day, and moseys around the other 40%.

...His poop is pretty pale and stringy now you mention it. Decidedly so. 😬

I have sinking shrimp based patties/pellets that both the Yoyos and Khulis eat. I supplement this with freezedried and sometimes fresh brine shrimp, freezedried bloodworms, and Fluval Bug Bites. Sometimes I'll throw in a Veggie wafer for variety, but they're not as into those.

Could be a parasitic infection what I would do is treat with expel p once a week for 4 weeks active ingredient levamisole can be harmful to shrimp and snails i would treat all the fish in main tank 

• Thanks 1

On 8/6/2024 at 8:24 AM, Colu said:

Could be a parasitic infection what I would do is treat with expel p once a week for 4 weeks active ingredient levamisole can be harmful to shrimp and snails i would treat all the fish in main tank 

Thank you so much!! I had no idea how to treat or diagnose a parasitic infection so this helps a ton. Fingers crossed I can save both Dos and prevent the rest of my tank from getting infected...it's amazing how quickly you can become attached to the little fellas. 🙌

Thank you again!!

• Like 1

On 8/6/2024 at 2:42 PM, the-bees-of-autumn said:

Quick follow up question: i have 3 platy fry in my tank, and no other tanks available. Should I be concerned about Expel P dosage and them, or will they be alright?

Expel p shouldn't harm your platy fry 

• Thanks 1