Betta fish with dropsy: need some advice

bookworm

so, I already have the fish in question in a hospital tank. 6 gallon tank only filled with one gallon of water, 2 Indian almond leaves, 3-4 drops of methylene blue, and keeping it at 81 ish. I watched a YouTube video on this specific treatment method for dropsy. I would post a picture of the fish but the water in the tank is quite dark and you wouldn't be able to see anything. in the video they left the fish in the tank for about two weeks, I think, without changing the water. the fish in the video was on the verge of death, my fish is not, he is ever so slightly swollen, very little pinecone-y scales, and a slight bent back, clamped fins, and dull gills, nothing that serious, I'm glad I caught it early, I need to know how long I should leave in the treatment. I was thinking 1 1/2 to 2 weeks want to know others thoughts.

thanks in advance

On 8/2/2024 at 11:30 PM, bookworm said:

so, I already have the fish in question in a hospital tank. 6 gallon tank only filled with one gallon of water, 2 Indian almond leaves, 3-4 drops of methylene blue, and keeping it at 81 ish. I watched a YouTube video on this specific treatment method for dropsy. I would post a picture of the fish but the water in the tank is quite dark and you wouldn't be able to see anything. in the video they left the fish in the tank for about two weeks, I think, without changing the water. the fish in the video was on the verge of death, my fish is not, he is ever so slightly swollen, very little pinecone-y scales, and a slight bent back, clamped fins, and dull gills, nothing that serious, I'm glad I caught it early, I need to know how long I should leave in the treatment. I was thinking 1 1/2 to 2 weeks want to know others thoughts.

thanks in advance

With dropsy that can be caused by a number of things such as a bacterial infections organ failure causing fluid buildup parasitic infection the most effective treatment I have found is a combination of maracyn2 and metroplex in food feeding a small amount twice a day for 7 days add aquarium salt 1 table spoon for 2 gallons to help reduce fluid buildup he's a recipe for maracyn2 just add one scoop of metroplex to the recipe for a more broad spectrum treatment if he isn't eating I would dose the tank with maracyn2 and metroplex 

1000000026.png

thank you but, I have tried  treatments very similar to this over the years none of them have ever worked for me, so i'm not going to do them again when I have lost 10 fish already from them, I'm going to try something different.  i'm going to start feeding him today, he built a bubble nest last night. and his fins aren't clamped anymore, I was planning on keeping him the hospital tank for 2 weeks, but I'm not sure if I should do less or more time. so I still need some advice on that.

On 8/4/2024 at 1:12 AM, bookworm said:

the pineconing is gone, but it have only been one day, should i leave him longer?

I would wait 7 days it not uncommon for fish to relapse when dealing with symptoms associated with dropsy 

after the week is it likely that he will get again sometime soon? I was planning on using him for a breeding project should I use him after he's been sick, after waiting long enough obviously. should I just get another male.

On 8/4/2024 at 2:05 AM, bookworm said:

after the week is it likely that he will get again sometime soon? I was planning on using him for a breeding project should I use him after he's been sick, after waiting long enough obviously. should I just get another male.

You just want to avoid any stress that could cause a relapse in the next month if he make a full recovery he should be ok to use for your breeding project 

Edited by Colu
  • Thanks 1