Question about Freshwater Cirrculation

So in my research, I am reading a lot about proper water circulation, but it always seems to focus on reef tanks.

For a 150 gallon freshwater tank would you recommend powerheads, or easy flow sponge filters for water cirrculation?

In order to answer your question more accurately, I think one would want to know the current filtration method for your 150?

Example: If you are currently running 2-FX6's for filtration....then I don't think anyone would recommend either powerheads or sponge filters. The flow from the 2 canisters should be sufficient, or more than sufficient.

If you currently have no filter, then I'd recommend both.

In short, I think we would need to know the current filtration/flow method, in order to give the best advice.

On 7/31/2024 at 9:41 PM, GPounda said:

For a 150 gallon freshwater tank would you recommend powerheads, or easy flow sponge filters for water cirrculation

A lot of the flow needs also depends on the fish you keep. Angels wouldn’t like a lot of flow with their tall bodies. But torpedo shaped mbuna love it. Even whether you can have sponges depends on the inhabitants. Oscars would use them as toys. And there comes a size of tank that sponges don’t work well.

personally, I might use 2 canisters just to increase mechanical filtration. Or a hob and canister combo. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I'm looking at a couple of 150 gallon tanks on Marketplace, and have been watching Cory on YouTube.  I'm going with a planted aquarium and like the idea of not using a massive filtration system, but still want to have sufficient circulation.

Should I consider a dedicated powerhead, or the Co-op Powerhead attached to a sponge filter?

Open to suggestions and advice.

Hi @Tony s, I'm still trying to decide what type of fish I want - it is daunting!!!  Who plays well with whom, do I want shrimp - will they be eaten.

I want to go for fish that will top out and 4-5", I like schools of fish, which I think will look beautiful in a 150.  Definatly not African ciclids, or Oscars. . .

Is there a book, or website you recommend for a detailed understanding of aquarium fish?

Edited by GPounda

On 8/1/2024 at 12:10 AM, GPounda said:

or the Co-op Powerhead attached to a sponge filter

I mean, it could work. If you have a large amount of little fish. They wouldn’t produce a large amount of waste. 

On 8/1/2024 at 12:18 AM, GPounda said:

I do like that you can stack the co-op sponge filters. . . there is just SO much to consider - and learn. 

Yes, but that’s one of the most fun things about this. Everybody’s constantly learning new things. Or trying new things. Just so many possibilities. And so many types of fish, and plants, and driftwood. Then fish breeding, and aquascaping. It’s great you can get lost in here doing things you love in your own way. But it does require patience. Both to learn and to watch your ideas happen.

There is only one magazine I know of, called Amazonas. Books are not readily available. I know, I keep looking. But there are a lot of basic fish profile videos on YouTube. Just figure out what you might like and search there. My favorite sight for that is Primetime Aquatics. Plants have their own sites on aquascaping. But, yeah, I'm kind of annoyed with the lack of books. But nobody reads books anymore 😔

Agreed.  Unfortunately for me, i live in a rural area without a decent LFS to ask question.  I was hoping for somewhere that i could find out which species prefers which, try and match food preferences, water parameters, etc.

On 8/1/2024 at 10:47 AM, GPounda said:

i live in a rural area without a decent LFS to ask question

I do too. An hour to one lfs. 2 hours to Indianapolis, 3 hours to Chicago. All of which are my lfs. Lfs is all relative. All the info is on Youtube. Primetime Aquatics, Kgtropicals, Cichlid brothers, Aquarium coop 

• Like 1

Yes.  I fully plan on taking my time with this one.  No rush for fish.  My first tank we already had some fish so I planted and introduced the same afternoon - no plants left. LOL

This time I'm going to give the plants some time to establish themselves, and let the water parameters balance out first.  We're on a well on the side of a mountain, so really only have to worry about minerals, not water treatment chemicals like chlorine and fluoride.

On 8/1/2024 at 11:08 AM, GPounda said:

so really only have to worry about minerals, not water treatment chemicals like chlorine and fluoride.

Understand completely. We avoided sulfur, but incredibly high in iron. gh is around 12 and so is kh. ph about 8.2