Filter Advice, Please

I'm looking at getting a 150 gallon tank for fresh water, and I found on Marketplace.  It comes with an incomplete OASE Indoor Aquatics Biomaster Thermo 600.  My question is this; is it a decent filter, and would it be easy enough to get any of the missing media/parts?

On 7/31/2024 at 4:08 PM, GPounda said:

I'm looking at getting a 150 gallon tank for fresh water, and I found on Marketplace.  It comes with an incomplete OASE Indoor Aquatics Biomaster Thermo 600.

Excellent score! Oases are supposed to be very good canisters. Any needed parts are probably going to be from Amazon though or the Oase store. Unless your lfs can get them. And have heard mixed reviews on the heater in the canister. I personally think that's a great idea

Oh, looking at it now, Oase sells direct. 400$ for that canister, new

Posted (edited)

tank, stand, filter is $500.

I've read the flow rates aren't the best with the Oases, so was thinking of supplimenting with two sponge filters - thoughts?

Edited by GPounda

On 7/31/2024 at 4:48 PM, GPounda said:

I've read the flow rates aren't the best with the Oases, so was thinking of supplimenting with two sponge filters - thoughts?

Flow is 350 gph.    Flow rates are recommended to be 5-10 times gallonage…

I wouldnt be going with extra sponge filters to meet that requirement…

You could of course add another canister filter which is a plan that has a lot going for it…. 

If a canister filter has a problem you can shut it down till you get repair parts, and you still ave one working for you.  

You alternate servicing of canisters to avoid disrupting the cycle

you have better flow distribution from opposite sides of the tank…

You have an excess of surface area to colonize beneficial bacteria..

Alternatively for much less cost, you could install some undergravel filter plates to get more beneficial bacteria surface area and plumb that to a power head and you can plumb the flow to where you want it…

You could go with a few powerheads or wavemakers to get extraflow.  Powerheads can have the intake come in through a large sponge filter.

You could start out with the budget option now and upgrade to a second canister filter later on…

All sorts of options.

• Like 1

sponges are best at bio filtration. If you need more flow in spots, a hob might be better. something like a tidal 110?

On 7/31/2024 at 4:48 PM, GPounda said:

tank, stand, filter is $500.

That is a good deal then.😍 Around here they try to get new prices from used equipment

• Like 1