Advice on storing bio media?

Hello all!

I recently had to decommission a 75 gallon aquarium (unplanned crack) and purchase a slightly upgraded replacement. I was running a Fluval 407 on the tank but since the crack, the filter has been sitting for close to a week. I have left it mostly undisturbed and full of tank water. As I wait for the new tank to come (hopefully in a week or so but arrival is somewhat unknown) I am curious on how to best store the filter media so the beneficial bacteria doesn’t die off too much yet also prevent something bad from growing due to stagnation. My plan was to let everything dry out except for the bio balls and bio rings which would be kept in RODI water for a little bit. Do you guys have any suggestions? Thanks!

On 7/25/2024 at 5:29 PM, Stinson Beach Aquatics said:

Hello all!

I recently had to decommission a 75 gallon aquarium (unplanned crack) and purchase a slightly upgraded replacement. I was running a Fluval 407 on the tank but since the crack, the filter has been sitting for close to a week. I have left it mostly undisturbed and full of tank water. As I wait for the new tank to come (hopefully in a week or so but arrival is somewhat unknown) I am curious on how to best store the filter media so the beneficial bacteria doesn’t die off too much yet also prevent something bad from growing due to stagnation. My plan was to let everything dry out except for the bio balls and bio rings which would be kept in RODI water for a little bit. Do you guys have any suggestions? Thanks!

What do you have your fish in right now? I would place biomedia in a mesh aquarium approved bag and place it in with your fish. 

• Like 2

On 7/25/2024 at 7:08 PM, Stinson Beach Aquatics said:

I have all the fish in a 35 gallon tank with another Fluval canister filter.

Yes I would do what I  stated earlier or place biomedia in a bucket or tote with water from your aquarium that's if you plan to setup another aquarium. If you don't want to do neither than rinse off and store in box or bucket dry area of your home. 

Edited by Tlindsey

If it’s been sitting closed for a week everything inside is likely gone it’s anaerobic I’d just clean everything with tape water and run the clean filter on your existing tank till the new one comes in 

Edited by face
  • Like 3

On 7/25/2024 at 6:18 PM, Tlindsey said:

What do you have your fish in right now? I would place biomedia in a mesh aquarium approved bag and place it in with your fish. 

Exactly, or just run the filter on a storage tote full of water 

• Like 1