Betta suddenly picky - not eating pellets

Hi all!

So recently I have noticed that my beta fish is not as interested in his pellets as he used to be (he used to eat around 4-5 pellets in one session). Now he usually just swims up and eats 1 -2 and then swims away. My water parameters were all good the last time I checked and I've been doing pretty frequent water changes to try to reduce my tanks population of detritus worms. 

I was thinking it could be two things. One is I recently started feeding him frozen Brine shrimp a couple times a week which he really liked. I now realize I was probably feeding them to him too often and have since cut back. Unfortunately, now when I try to feed him the pellets he seems uninterested. Could it be because he only wants the brine shrimp now and has become picky? 

My second thought is that he may have eaten one of my CRS  (RIP 😞 ) and was thinking maybe he hasn't been as hungry lately because of if? 

I'd appreciate your thoughts and input on why he seems to be eating less, and also some guidance on what you think is the best balanced diet for a beta. I'm not too concerned right now because he's quite active and honestly a little fat but I'm not sure at what stage his change in appetite is cause for concern. Thanks in advance!

My beta went through almost exactly the same thing.  When I first got him I was feeding him mostly pellets.  I switch in freeze dried brine shrimp and he went crazy for it.  After that he refused to eat the pellets at all.

What I found, hunger is one heck of a motivator.  If all you offer him is the pellets, when he's hungry enough he'll take to them again.  I've instituted a rotation of pellets, the dried brine shrimp, and frozen bloodworms.

• Like 1