Fish missing a gill plate?

Hey guys. This is Hank.

IMG_8189.jpeg.7521cf3ef50b872d16c5197a8b0b9165.jpeg

I’ve talked about him in some other posts here and there. Hank has had this red inflamed gill since purchase. I didn’t notice it at the store because I bought him with a school, and they were so hyper I could not see any detail; no one would stay still. He’s had treatments and rest periods including level 2 salt, Maracyn two, Kanaplex, and metroplex. Nothing resolved it. Could it be that this is a missing gill plate? And should I just not worry about it? He is a very active and social fish and does everything his tankmates do. Now I’ve moved them out and Hank remains in the tank alone until I can figure out what to do for him (if anything). He’s had this issue for months; it’s no better and no worse.

77 degrees

0/0/10

head-and-taillight tetra

IMG_8190.jpeg

IMG_8191.jpeg
@Colu

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea

On 7/19/2024 at 9:05 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Hey guys. This is Hank.

IMG_8189.jpeg.7521cf3ef50b872d16c5197a8b0b9165.jpeg

I’ve talked about him in some other posts here and there. Hank has had this red inflamed gill since purchase. I didn’t notice it at the store because I bought him with a school, and they were so hyper I could not see any detail; no one would stay still. He’s had treatments and rest periods including level 2 salt, Maracyn two, Kanaplex, and metroplex. Nothing resolved it. Could it be that this is a missing gill plate? And should I just not worry about it? He is a very active and social fish and does everything his tankmates do. Now I’ve moved them out and Hank remains in the tank alone until I can figure out what to do for him (if anything). He’s had this issue for months; it’s no better and no worse.

77 degrees

0/0/10

head-and-taillight tetra

IMG_8190.jpeg

IMG_8191.jpeg

Possibly defect from the beginning fry stage. I've personally had fish throughout my years of fishkeeping with defects like that of the head and tail light tetra. Some big fish farms don't cull out fish with a defect or deformities. 

I personally have a fish that was created with one eye. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi Chick-in, how is Hank doing? Were you ever able to move him out of the hospital tank?

I have some black neons in quarantine right now and noticed the same thing with one of mine. I initially treated with Maracyn because I thought it was some kind of infection but looking closer I think it is just missing a gill plate after all. From what I’ve read it could be a birth defect, the fish eats and acts completely normal. Just proves how hardy these little fish can be. 

IMG_1265.jpeg

• Like 1