Thinking of making a patio pond from an old 20 long, thoughts?

HansE

I would like to use a battered 20 long I have to make a small patio pond. What are people's gut reactions to that idea? Secondly, if I do proceed, do we think I should paint 3 or 4 of the walls black? 

All opinions welcome!

I love patio ponds! If it were me I would paint 3 sides and see if I had any algae problems to see if i wanted to paint the 4th side. Algae is always going to be present in an outdoor pond but it can be minimized.

On 7/18/2024 at 7:57 PM, Jovius said:

I love patio ponds! If it were me I would paint 3 sides and see if I had any algae problems to see if i wanted to paint the 4th side. Algae is always going to be present in an outdoor pond but it can be minimized.

Good shout, thanks!

Gut reaction, absolutely do it. That’s what I love about a forum, if someone has done something similar they can chime in with some potentially useful feedback, if not we get to hear about a new idea that someone tried.  

If you have a 20 gallon aquarium available then use it!  We went from one to three outdoor tubs this year and are loving it. Our new tubs are 20 gallon planters and 20 gallons seems to be a great size. 

I thought our guppies did great inside until we saw them in an outdoor tub!  So many babies  

My opinion would be to paint 3 sides so you can look at the fish from the side if you want. I do miss seeing the outdoor guppies from the side!  

What if you can diy removable covers for the sides, so you can enjoy looking at them from the side, then replace them when done?

I would use stiff opaque plastic sheets and affix some kind of hanger on them, that will allow them to hang from the rim.

Edited by HelplessNewbie