Best Types of Wood for An Aquascape

Shiba

Hi all!

I am considering sourcing my driftwood from outside if I can. I think it's possibly an ornamental pear. Have any of you tried using this wood in an aquarium? I am going to soak it to see if it messes with the water parameters.

Thanks.

• Like 2

On 7/12/2024 at 4:47 PM, Shiba said:

Hi all!

I am considering sourcing my driftwood from outside if I can. I think it's possibly an ornamental pear. Have any of you tried using this wood in an aquarium? I am going to soak it to see if it messes with the water parameters.

Thanks.

I personally use dead dried wood from hardwood tree species like Oak trees. Tbh don't know about conditioning wood from a pear tree for aquarium use. @Shiba

• Like 2

I don't know if it is suitable for the tank, but I wanted to say it is not always about the parameters only. In fact, it really isnt about parameters.

Botanicals/woods may release stuff that can be even deadly for the fish and critters in a tank environment. Especially considering how small a tank volume is compared to nature itself. That's why it is always a good idea going for the safe options. By testing parameters, you can only see effects like slight ph decrease and such based on your kh reading. Maybe decaying wood releasing slight ammonia and such? You can't see potential harmful stuff/toxins that the wood may release.

Same goes for many animals. Like there are safe wood options for my parrots and there are unsafe/unknown ones to use. It is always a good idea to stay in the safe zone.

Edited by Lennie
  • Like 3

Pear is a very hard wood as all fruit woods are.  If you know which pear it is you can do a species search for toxins associated with said tree.  But since fruit woods are used for smoking foods I would guess it's likely safe.

• Like 1
  • Love 2