Benefits of bare bottom tanks for breeding?

I notice that Dean runs bare bottom tanks in many videos. I did this too when I got into breeding fish in the 1990's. But I have been running gravel bottoms for decades now. I am wondering what the benefits are to running a bare bottom? 

Easier to vacuum? Anything else?

Easier to see eggs or fry?

I have success with breeding in gravel bottom planted tanks in most instances, though I am not doing any very difficult species. 

On 7/6/2024 at 3:15 PM, donnots said:

I notice that Dean runs bare bottom tanks in many videos. I did this too when I got into breeding fish in the 1990's. But I have been running gravel bottoms for decades now. I am wondering what the benefits are to running a bare bottom? 

Easier to vacuum? Anything else?

Easier to see eggs or fry?

I have success with breeding in gravel bottom planted tanks in most instances, though I am not doing any very difficult species. 

If for some reason the fry died wouldn't have to worry about removing substrate to sterilize the aquarium. Also live food won't be able to escape in the substrate and possibly die unnoticed. @donnots

• Like 3

Easier to clean is pretty much it. I breed fish in my fishroom with 30 aquariums and do both bare bottom or tanks with a thin layer of sand. Haven't noticed a difference in production but I do prefer th lookof a thin sand layer.

• Like 4