DIY filter overflow preference

Hi all, 

I’m buying plumbing today for my next tank and the diy internal filter. In your tanks, those that have filtration other than air driven what over flow or intake do you prefer? Surface skimmer, comb or intake or something else? The filter I’ve designed is basically an internal sump first section will be 3 grades of sponges, noodles and bio media in section 2, heater, diy co2 reactor and pump in section 3. What’s your preference?

regards Duzzy

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Im all in for an undergravel with a powerhead.  Its all internal, so no leaks ever, and you have a massive surface area for bio-load.  The powerhead/uptake tube is easily disguised, and the entirety of the filter itself is just your substrate, so you arent wasting space and crowding the tank with ugly hardware.  Bonus points because the powerhead also supplies circulation.   Super easy, super cheap, extremely low maintenance.    Everybody should be looking at these again.

Edited by daggaz
  • Like 2

On 7/5/2024 at 9:22 PM, Duzzy said:

Hi all, 

I’m buying plumbing today for my next tank and the diy internal filter. In your tanks, those that have filtration other than air driven what over flow or intake do you prefer? Surface skimmer, comb or intake or something else? The filter I’ve designed is basically an internal sump first section will be 3 grades of sponges, noodles and bio media in section 2, heater, diy co2 reactor and pump in section 3. What’s your preference?

regards Duzzy

I have a diy 3 drawer wet/dry sump with acrylic overflow box works by gravity on a 180gal. Have ceramic, plastic pot scrubbers, and ceramic media. @Duzzy

On 7/6/2024 at 12:48 PM, Tlindsey said:

I have a diy 3 drawer wet/dry sump with acrylic overflow box works by gravity on a 180gal. Have ceramic, plastic pot scrubbers, and ceramic media. @Duzzy

Cool idea.  I love using pot scrubbers too but in this case they’ll be too big I think.

• Like 1