40 gallon Amazon River Biotope Stocking ideas

Posted (edited)

So I’m going to setup a 40 gal tank in about a year when I save up enough money. I’m only 14 and I cut grass for money so I can spend it on fish tanks and basketball shoes 🙃. I have about $100 rn but that’s not enough to start. My stocking plan rn is 

CENTERPIECE FISH

pair of Apistogramma cacatuoides

MID LEVEL SCHOOLING FISH

10-12 Cardinal Tetras

10-12 green neon tetras

8 emperor tetras or 8 lemon tetras

8 black phantom tetras

BOTTOM DWELLERS

6 panda corydoras

6 Julii corydoras

CLEANUP CREW 

6-8 otos

its going to have lots of plants and some leaf litter for the corydoras to hide in

the temperature will probably be 78-80 degrees Fahrenheit

ph is 6.5

is this ok and is the stocking ok as well and do you think I could switch or add something else?

Edited by vinny
  • Like 2

Okay, watch for the half off tank sale from Petco to get your tank.

That stocking list is a bit much in the sense you might have to do a lot of water changes. If you want less work, you might think about just one group of tetras, corys, and the otos. The Apitos may snack on the tetras if too small. Also, think about when you add fish to add a group at a time.

I'm going to give you a tool you can play with: AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor

What this site is good for is matching ph and temp for fish but don't take it's stocking space at 100% true.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 7/5/2024 at 6:38 AM, vinny said:

So I’m going to setup a 40 gal tank in about a year when I save up enough money. I’m only 14 and I cut grass for money so I can spend it on fish tanks and basketball shoes 🙃. I have about $100 rn but that’s not enough to start. My stocking plan rn is 

CENTERPIECE FISH

pair of Apistogramma cacatuoides

MID LEVEL SCHOOLING FISH

10-12 Cardinal Tetras

10-12 green neon tetras

8 emperor tetras or 8 lemon tetras

8 black phantom tetras

BOTTOM DWELLERS

6 panda corydoras

6 Julii corydoras

CLEANUP CREW 

6-8 otos

its going to have lots of plants and some leaf litter for the corydoras to hide in

the temperature will probably be 78-80 degrees Fahrenheit

ph is 6.5

is this ok and is the stocking ok as well and do you think I could switch or add something else?

Welcome to the forum Vinny!

Your selection of Amazon species are great. If it was choice I would select the Cardinal, Lemon, and Green neon tetras. Also would wait for the aquarium to mature a little before adding the Otto's. @vinny

Edited by Tlindsey
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 7/5/2024 at 7:54 AM, vinny said:

Ok thank you and why are the otos weak?

Not that their weak but need a reliable food source biofilm, algae. Prepared foods are ok but I personally would add them last. @vinny

On 7/5/2024 at 7:58 AM, Tlindsey said:

Not that their week but need a reliable food source biofilm, algae. Prepared foods are ok but I personally would add them last. @vinny

Edited by Tlindsey
  • Like 1

On 7/5/2024 at 7:58 AM, Tlindsey said:

Not that their week but need a reliable food source biofilm, algae. Prepared foods are ok but I personally would add them last. @vinny

So what should the order of fish I add in with my stocking being 

apistogrammi

green neon tetra

lemon tetra

corydoras 

otos

Water changes are sliding scale that changes until the tank settles. The general idea is add a group of fish, wait a week, test the water, water change what's apprioate, and then add the next fish group. You might find at some point that even every couple day water changes isn't worth the large number of fish.

• Like 2

On 7/5/2024 at 8:01 AM, gabdewulf said:

Water changes are sliding scale that changes until the tank settles. The general idea is add a group of fish, wait a week, test the water, water change what's apprioate, and then add the next fish group. You might find at some point that even every couple day water changes isn't worth the large number of fish.

Oh ok so it might be overwhelming for once a week with so many fish. So stick to two species of tetras

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 7/5/2024 at 7:59 AM, vinny said:

So what should the order of fish I add in with my stocking being 

apistogrammi

green neon tetra

lemon tetra

corydoras 

otos

1:Green neon tetra 

2:lemon

3:apistogramma

4:corydoras 

5:otto's @vinny

Edited by Tlindsey

On 7/5/2024 at 8:05 AM, Tlindsey said:

1:Green neon tetra 

2:lemon

3:apistogramma

4:corydoras 

5:otto's @vinny

Ok thank you by chance could I add a bigger canister filter and add black phantom tetras bc I really love those fish.

On 7/5/2024 at 8:01 AM, gabdewulf said:

• Like 1

On 7/5/2024 at 8:07 AM, vinny said:

Ok thank you by chance could I add a bigger canister filter and add black phantom tetras bc I really love those fish.

It's not just about filtration you will also have to be consistent with appropriate water changes.

I should have asked you this first. How do you plan on cycling the aquarium?

Fishless or Fish in? I suggest fishless. 

• Like 1

On 7/5/2024 at 8:14 AM, Tlindsey said:

It's not just about filtration you will also have to be consistent with appropriate water changes.

I should have asked you this first. How do you plan on cycling the aquarium?

Fishless or Fish in? I suggest fishless. 

100% fish less. I have a 10 gallon tank rn that I have had for a year with a honey gourami green neon tetras and panda Cory’s. And I cycled it by using Seachem prime and stability for 1 week.

On 7/5/2024 at 8:16 AM, vinny said:

100% fish less. I have a 10 gallon tank rn that I have had for a year with a honey gourami green neon tetras and panda Cory’s. And I cycled it by using Seachem prime and stability for 1 week.

And also I did the stocking website thing and with my original thing it say 35% every week.

and 93% stocking levels. Is aqua advisory a good source or no? 

IMG_0480.png

• Like 3

On 7/5/2024 at 8:16 AM, vinny said:

When I start up a new aquarium I toss in seeded biomedia from my sump to Jumpstart the cycle depending on the size of the aquarium. @vinny

• Like 1

On 7/5/2024 at 8:22 AM, Tlindsey said:

When I start up a new aquarium I toss in seeded biomedia from my sump to Jumpstart the cycle depending on the size of the aquarium. @vinny

Do you have multiple tanks? I only have one which is my 10 gallon honey gourami community tank. The gourami name is pickles. My little sister named him.

image.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Love 2

On 7/5/2024 at 8:24 AM, vinny said:

Do you have multiple tanks? I only have one which is my 10 gallon honey gourami community tank. The gourami name is pickles. My little sister named him.

image.jpg

Yes I have 5  aquariums running. @vinny

On 7/5/2024 at 8:30 AM, Tlindsey said:

I got a feeling you are going to have more than 5 😄 @vinny 

Hopefully I’m only 14 so not anytime soon prob max 2-3. But one can wish 🙃

• Like 1

On 7/5/2024 at 8:27 AM, vinny said:

What are sizes and stocking in them? I wish I had 5 😂😂

180 gal.  Polypterus a couple of cichlids and a silver dollar. 

55 gal. 3 Senegal bichir, 3 Convict cichlid,  and a Raphael catfish. 

40 gal. A pair freshwater pipefish 6 cherry shrimp, and 1ghost shrimp. 

2 20 gallon long 1 amazon bumblebee catfish, and 1 banjo catfish. The other has 6 white cloud mountain minnows in it. @vinny

• Love 1

On 7/5/2024 at 8:39 AM, Tlindsey said:

180 gal.  Polypterus a couple of cichlids and a silver dollar. 

55 gal. 3 Senegal bichir, 3 Convict cichlid,  and a Raphael catfish. 

40 gal. A pair freshwater pipefish 6 cherry shrimp, and 1ghost shrimp. 

2 20 gallon long 1 amazon bumblebee catfish, and 1 banjo catfish. The other has 6 white cloud mountain minnows in it. @vinny

Oh my half of these fish I’ve never heard of by a silver dollar is one nice fish. Want to get one when I’m older. Do you have a fish room or just spread around your house?

On 7/5/2024 at 8:40 AM, vinny said:

Oh my half of these fish I’ve never heard of by a silver dollar is one nice fish. Want to get one when I’m older. Do you have a fish room or just spread around your house?

180gal in the basement the other aquariums in the family room. My wife won't let me use anymore rooms for aquariums 😆 @vinny

• Haha 1

On 7/5/2024 at 8:45 AM, Tlindsey said:

180gal in the basement the other aquariums in the family room. My wife won't let me use anymore rooms for aquariums 😆 @vinny

lol that’s still sweet I’m gonna rescale my ten gal soon and make it a south East Asian biotope with pickles my gourami Kuhlis loaches and chili rasboras

• Like 1

On 7/5/2024 at 8:46 AM, vinny said:

lol that’s still sweet I’m gonna rescale my ten gal soon and make it a south East Asian biotope with pickles my gourami Kuhlis loaches and chili rasboras

That's awesome. @vinny