First time owning Serpae Tetras

I'm wondering if it's ok to add 4 Serpae Tetras with any of the following:

Guppies

Mollies

Yellow fin White clouds

Long fin Cherry barbs

Pea Puffers

Endlers

I have 4 Serpaes in a quarantine tank and I'm wondering which tank to move them to. I've read (after purchase, unfortunately) that they tend to be fin nippers. 

murder beans...  and you are worried about the tetras?  well it could be funny if they upset the tentative balance and the whole tank devolves into insofar bloodshed.

On 6/27/2024 at 9:23 AM, Scaperoot said:

. . . I've read (after purchase, unfortunately) that they tend to be fin nippers. 

They're one of my favorite fish.  The best I can tell their reputation as fin nippers mostly comes from people keeping them in too small groups, or in tanks with inadequate hiding places for them to retreat to if they feel threatened.  In either of those conditions they can feel constantly stressed, which may cause them to be aggressive when they otherwise wouldn't.

Four isn't enough.  I'd encourage you to get at least four more, if you have room for that many, or re-home them if you don't.

• Like 2

On 6/27/2024 at 11:31 AM, JettsPapa said:

They're one of my favorite fish.  The best I can tell their reputation as fin nippers mostly comes from people keeping them in too small groups, or in tanks with inadequate hiding places for them to retreat to if they feel threatened.  In either of those conditions they can feel constantly stressed, which may cause them to be aggressive when they otherwise wouldn't.

Four isn't enough.  I'd encourage you to get at least four more, if you have room for that many, or re-home them if you don't.

Looks like I'll have to re-home them. Thankfully I know someone who has some already and would be happy to take them. I was hoping to keep a small group, but I'll do what's best for them. Thank you🙏

• Like 2

I have 5 serpaes in a 55 gal. planted community tank with 21 other fish and 5 nerites and nobody has ever been nipped. They are very busy yet docile with their tank mates. Never had a problem.

• Like 1