Nego Dagua Tetra or Sailfin Tetra

Hello,

I am currently in the hunt for the next Tetra for my 25 gallon community tank. I currently have a small amount of Cardinal, Glow Light, and Pristella Tetras in it. I have begin researching and reading up on Nego Dagua Tetra (Hyphessobrycon Negodagua) and the Sailfin Tetra (Crenuchus Spilurus). From what I have read it appears both of these Tetras are more rare in the aquarium hobby. I am reaching out to see if anyone has had these and what their experiences were. My goal is to have a peaceful community tank with no bullies.

Thank you!

Nego Dagua (top) Sailfin (bottom)

Nego Dagua.PNG

Sailfin.PNG

Edited by Sandrock14

On 6/24/2024 at 6:51 PM, HelplessNewbie said:

Wow, those are beautiful! Hope you find someone.

I agree! White is my favorite color. It appears the Dagua Tetra males turn super black when they are showing off for the females but their fins keep that white tip. They look beautiful!

• 2 months later...

I know this is a couple of months old now but what did you decide? 

I have nego Dagua and they have fast become my favourite fish. They are really active, I wouldn't say they are bullies but because they are really active and incredibly fast it did take a while for my other fish to get used to their presence, and it's harder to feed some of the slower ones, and the dagua do sometimes chase them off when food is involved.  I'm actually cycling a new tank so I can do species only for them, partially for some of my shyer fishes benefit, but mostly because I love them so much. 

You are right that the males appear super dark when showing off, they look lovely, and if the light shines on their body they look really silver too. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/4/2024 at 2:17 AM, SjFishy said:

I know this is a couple of months old now but what did you decide? 

I have nego Dagua and they have fast become my favourite fish. They are really active, I wouldn't say they are bullies but because they are really active and incredibly fast it did take a while for my other fish to get used to their presence, and it's harder to feed some of the slower ones, and the dagua do sometimes chase them off when food is involved.  I'm actually cycling a new tank so I can do species only for them, partially for some of my shyer fishes benefit, but mostly because I love them so much. 

You are right that the males appear super dark when showing off, they look lovely, and if the light shines on their body they look really silver too. 

Awesome! I bought 6 Nego Daguas. One had a pretty tore up caudal fin upon arrival from the order. It healed up very quickly though. They definitely run my tank haha. They are very active and periodically chase other tetras and very frequently chase each other. Especially after feeding and a water change. Overall, I don't see any other fish's fins nipped or physical signs of injury from the periodical chasing from the Nego Daguas. They are gorgeous Tetras, their black with white fins really pop.

I think that is definitely smart having a tank for them. I wish my tank was larger because the Nego Dagua's can be a bit feisty. How many do you have?

On 9/13/2024 at 12:41 PM, Sandrock14 said:

I'm curious to hear if you are able to get them to breed. That would be epic.

I don’t have them right now since I don’t have an available aquarium and I don’t have the space for another. I didn’t know they existed till this post though I do want to try and breed them one day.

On 9/13/2024 at 3:58 PM, Mississippi fish guy said:

I don’t have them right now since I don’t have an available aquarium and I don’t have the space for another. I didn’t know they existed till this post though I do want to try and breed them one day.

I believe the Nego Daguas are overall newer to the hobby. I ordered mine online, it was a little pricey due to the overnight shipping, but worth it for their safety. I spoke to the breeder and the Nego Daguas I purchased are first generation bred in captivity which is pretty cool. Still have a lot of the wild genes in them.