Draining to Sump, Worries about sump clogs?

I have a few racks of tanks that drain into a sump that then pumps into a utility sink in my basement (a 55g home depot tub). I'm getting a certain amount of buildup of mulm and other junk in the sump naturally. Are there any good tips for making that easier to manage? I have a relatively beefy cast iron sump pump draining this thing, but It's not like it's one that's made for sewage (which is a thing I found out about for basement bathrooms). Anyone ever have trouble with clogs? I have the outet hooked to a regular garden hose at the moment, but maybe it would be wiser to hard plumb it with 2" pvc...

Anyone out there with say, a separate settling chamber that the empty regularly to take care of the big stuff? Other stories of problems with this setup?

• Like 1

On 6/21/2024 at 12:31 PM, porcnick said:
I have a few racks of tanks that drain into a sump that then pumps into a utility sink in my basement (a 55g home depot tub). I'm getting a certain amount of buildup of mulm and other junk in the sump naturally. Are there any good tips for making that easier to manage? I have a relatively beefy cast iron sump pump draining this thing, but It's not like it's one that's made for sewage (which is a thing I found out about for basement bathrooms). Anyone ever have trouble with clogs? I have the outet hooked to a regular garden hose at the moment, but maybe it would be wiser to hard plumb it with 2" pvc...

Anyone out there with say, a separate settling chamber that the empty regularly to take care of the big stuff? Other stories of problems with this setup?

Believe it or not some use the product Rid-x for septic tanks. From what I read it breaks down waste gunk. @porcnick

Edited by Tlindsey

Maybe this is an obvious question but do you have a filter sock or something on the hoses draining the tanks into the sump? Depending on how that's setup, maybe you can filter out some amount of solids before they even get into the sump.

But I've never set up a sump, so I'm sort of speaking out of turn.

• Like 1