New 40B set-up / what to do?

So I’m in the process of setting up a new 40B.

Planted, no co2, black controsoil, dragon stone is all I know as of now.

My wife and I want some small colorful nano fish larger school 15-20 ( cardinal tetra) medium to larger schooling fish 6-8(rainbow), shrimp and a couple bottom dwellers.

Any experienced advice would be greatly appreciated. Fish type, quantity, where to buy them, etc. would all be welcomed.

The Wet Spot, Aqua Huna, Aquatic Arts, and Dan's Fish are some of the better online places to buy fish, imo.

Orange Laser Corys would be a great bottom feeding crew, imo. 

I'll let others chime in on other fish to add.

• Like 2

I have from Aqua Huna and Aquatic Arts. Both are great. Cory is in connection with Dan's - so you can't go wrong there. Wet Spot is a favorite of Steenfot Aquatics (good friend of Cory) - I would guess the same...another good place.

For rainbows, I’d suggest pseudomugils. There are various pseudo’s to choose from. 40breeder is not quite long enough to get the most out of melanotaenia, chilatherina, or glossolepis. Possibly Kali Tawa’s or praecox could definitely work. You get the most spectacular displays with a longer aquarium when it comes to rainbows. 

On 6/20/2024 at 3:14 AM, Justin V1 said:

Planted, no co2, black controsoil, dragon stone is all I know as of now.

Have you set up a planted tank before?  If not, definitely do a lot of research on what you need for a low-tech planted tank, and what to expect in terms of possible problems.  Basic starting points are 1) get a LOT of plants especially fast growing easy to care for types, 2) get a good light and put it on a timer max 8 hours, and 3) use some fertilizer to help get the plants started.  All of this will help you avoid an algae apocalypse.  

Edited by daggaz

Thank you, I have a planted 150 that I have some algae issues with currently. Many different types of plants. Fast growing and a few slow growing. I use the easy green, liquid and root tabs. It has AI lights.

The 40B has a Coop 36” light strip and I was thinking about getting the fish first so there’s plenty of nutrients for the plants to grow.