Seashells in freshwater aquarium?

I have a bag of small seashells and was wondering if the shells would affect water chemistry in the tank?

Also, would seashells I collect from the beach be okay? Any prep work required before adding to tank?

Aquarium specs:  

20 gallon, freshwater 

7.4 pH

Planted. 

Will (probably) house: Betta, tetras, Cory cats, shrimp, snails

On 6/13/2024 at 2:10 PM, TinaPax-Peeks said:

I have a bag of small seashells and was wondering if the shells would affect water chemistry in the tank?

Also, would seashells I collect from the beach be okay? Any prep work required before adding to tank?

Aquarium specs:  

20 gallon, freshwater 

7.4 pH

Planted. 

Will (probably) house: Betta, tetras, Cory cats, shrimp, snails

Yes sea shells can effect ph but it depends on how many and the size of the aquarium. Tbh it may take time when the sea shells start to break down. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/13/2024 at 2:10 PM, TinaPax-Peeks said:

yes, they will affect it as they break down. but given what you want to keep it's not a big deal. and your ph is slightly basic already, so they'll break down slowly. I'd be careful of the type of tetra you want; some can be more sensitive to ph than others. If you stay with the more common ones, you should be good

for cleaning, a good rinse in the sink should be fine. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It will effect if your ph is low. Shells would dissolve, and increase kh and gh as they are basically rich in calcium carbonate.

If your ph is high enough, you will barely notice any effect really.

Some shells may have very sharp edges or tips. Be careful of them potentially hurting fish and try to not include anything feels sharp if you wanna use them.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Since you're going to collect them from the beach, I'd also give them a smell test. If they stink inside, the old animal is probably still there. I wouldn't use those

• Like 3