About dried mulberry leaves

Are these especially loved by snails?  I received some in an assortment of botanicals.

They seem especially delicate and prone to breaking down, but also the (pest/bladder) snails were all over it right away.  I have shrimp and otocinclus in that aquarium, which I really wanted to use it, but the snails annihilated it.  I don't want to get rid of the snails.

• Like 2

On 6/11/2024 at 4:59 PM, Julie Monday said:

Are these especially loved by snails?  I received some in an assortment of botanicals.

They seem especially delicate and prone to breaking down, but also the (pest/bladder) snails were all over it right away.  I have shrimp and otocinclus in that aquarium, which I really wanted to use it, but the snails annihilated it.  I don't want to get rid of the snails.

Agree sounds like the snails really enjoyed the Mulberry leaves. @Julie Monday

• Thanks 1

The only thing I can think is to increase the amount of leaves that go in at a time, I guess? So that the snails have some but also the shrimp and otos get some, too. On the other hand, that may just lead to a bump in snail population...

But yes, while I'm using magnolia leaves instead of mulberry, I've found the snails seem to jump on them a lot quicker and more thoroughly than the shrimp and otos (I've never actually seen my otos eating off of the leaves).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Can you put fresh ones in or do they have to be dried first? I've never heard of using mulberry leaves but I am surrounded by mulberry trees and I am always up for trying anything that utilizes natural resources

On 6/22/2024 at 12:08 PM, xxannan said:

Can you put fresh ones in or do they have to be dried first? I've never heard of using mulberry leaves but I am surrounded by mulberry trees and I am always up for trying anything that utilizes natural resources

No only add dead dry mulberry leaves. @xxannan

Edited by Tlindsey
Added a word
  • Like 1

I use magnolia leaves because I have a magnolia tree in my yard, and because I know that there are no pesticides used on the tree nor on the grass the leaves fall on. Anything from the woods ought to be alright, but maybe avoid collecting if you think pesticides may have been sprayed there.

• Like 1

The botanicals you received appear to be very attractive to snails, specifically kidney and pest snails. Even while they might degrade quickly and draw snails, you worry that the snails might be eaten before your mussels and otocinclus can benefit.

As a, increasing the number of these plants will increase snail interest.🐌🐌