Sand

I have a few questions about this sand https://www.swelluk.com/swell-aquarium-silver-sand?gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIour3idTKhgMVTJ1QBh3sKAaZEAQYAiABEgLkrPD_BwE#aquarium-silver-sand-20kg I am going to buy for my new 350litre tank. 

1. Is the grain size okay for bristle nose plecos?

2. I am going to get an fx6 so will the flow be too much for the fine sand to the point where it will blow around?

3. Will this look okay in a discus tank (in terms of how similar it looks to their actual habitat)?

Thanks

I have not used that sand before, but if my math is correct, that is a very fine/small grain size.  You may end up with it blowing all over your tank due to the FX6 (but I have not used an FX6 before either).  

Which fish do you plan to keep in the tank and do you plan to setup the aquascape?

The other thing to think about. The sand may not be the only thing being blown around with an fx6. Have you ever given any thought about a spray bar hookup. Should slow the water flow enough for discus. Plate size fish blow around easily. John Hudson at kgtropicals ended up using a rather coarse sand/ fine gravel in his cichlid tank. Helps suck up some muck and keeps the surface looking cleaner. You could even use some plants in pots with soil. Capped with sand. Easier to grow than in sand solely. 

On 6/8/2024 at 2:45 AM, Cjbear087 said:

3. Will this look okay in a discus tank (in terms of how similar it looks to their actual habitat)?

I use fine sand in bn breeding tank with no issue other than how fast it gets dirty

but Discus tank and using substrate is a questionable topic in general. I would suggest searching deep on that topic on simplydiscus forum and asking for opinions there. Personally, discus keeping prevented me to enjoy hobby when I gave them a try. They are needy and fragile. Think 10x before obtaining discus. I saw the examples of a few people finding success with discus just like any other fish in a community tank with no special care needed. That's very rare, and it was nothing like my personal experience.

• Like 1

That is very fine grained sand, it will compact and make plants struggle to grow roots if you are going to aquascape. But it will be fine for a pleco, from what I'v read about discus, they like fine grained sand.

The FX6 is marketed for a 1500L tank, seems way overkill for your 350L, and running them slower causes stress on the motor. Maybe a Fluval 407 would be better suited?