Ricefish for begginers?

I'm planning a six-gallon planted tank to get into the hobby. These are the first fish I've had since I was eight, and I want to ensure they live well. I was thinking of ricefish because I've they are small and not super skittish compared to other nano-fish. My question is are ricefish really for beginners? I've never really heard of them before a few months ago, so I'm wondering if they are for beginners with a little more experience yk?

Posted (edited)
On 6/2/2024 at 5:15 PM, shrimpleaf said:

I'm planning a six-gallon planted tank to get into the hobby. These are the first fish I've had since I was eight, and I want to ensure they live well. I was thinking of ricefish because I've they are small and not super skittish compared to other nano-fish. My question is are ricefish really for beginners? I've never really heard of them before a few months ago, so I'm wondering if they are for beginners with a little more experience yk?

They are. They are incredibly hardy,and peaceful, which makes them one of the most beginner fish I’ve seen. @shrimpleaf
Remember, you’re working with a small tank here, make sure everything is okay for your ricefish and in ship shape. 6g is still small. But they are nano, so if you do everything right, you’ll be fine with these little guys!

Edited by Whitecloud09
  • Thanks 1

On 6/2/2024 at 5:35 PM, shrimpleaf said:

Also, where can you buy them? I was going to buy them from Buceplant, but have heard some not-so-nice reviews.

Petco might have them, we are not allowed to mention certain stores tho on this forum. But maybe check there @shrimpleaf.

On 6/2/2024 at 6:07 PM, EricksonAquatics said:

Never kept them, but unsure how well they’d do in anything less than a 10g? But I’ve heard Cory say they’re pretty dang bulletproof. And they like cooler water, a bonus since you won’t need a heater.

Yes a + as heaters can take up space. I can see it, just like WCMMs, it may not seem like it could go in a 6 but if you everything right and have the right conditions, I can see it. 

(IMO)