Peacock Gudgeons

I have a 29 gallon medium planted tank (Hornwort, a big bundle of Java Fern and some Anubias Nana Petite, and Coffeefolia)  with a somewhat small Electric Blue Acara (~3 in).  I have 1 Peacock Gudgeon that we've had for about a month.  I'm thinking of adding a few more.  How many do you think I can safely add, without much aggression?

On 5/30/2024 at 2:31 PM, NOLANANO said:

I had 3 in a 29G without issue. They were interesting little fish.

I kind of don't want them to breed either.  Did yours breed easily?  We have some pure Guppies and pure Shrimp that we are breeding now.

About where are you in NOLA?  I'm in Metairie.

I also live in Metairie! My never bred. I definitely had 1 male and I think 2 females but it could have been 2 males and a female. I would suggest getting more than 3 though because 2 of them paired and then chased the 3rd a good bit. Nothing too crazy but they definitely let the 3rd know that he/she was not wanted.  Even though they "paired", I never saw any babies.

• Like 1

FYI: I looked at your profile and your tank shocked me. Its the first time I have ever seen blue gravel look good in a tank. Thats like turning fast food into a 5 star meal.  Props to you lol

• Haha 1

On 5/30/2024 at 4:24 PM, NOLANANO said:

FYI: I looked at your profile and your tank shocked me. Its the first time I have ever seen blue gravel look good in a tank. Thats like turning fast food into a 5 star meal.  Props to you lol

LOL...my kids picked it out at the start of Covid.  Last month, I switched it out to Eco Complete.  That was not fun and took about a month or so to do.  Now, I have a huge algae bloom that I'm working on.  4 years worth of mulm got stirred up.

On 5/30/2024 at 4:27 PM, T. Payne said:

If you have the shrimp with the acara and gudgeon, I wouldn't expect to have the shrimp too long before they are eaten.

I can't speak on the acara but my gudgeon never touched adult shrimp. I'm sure they got babies though. My shrimp population was able to stay steady around 30-40 shrimp for over a year in a 29G with gudgeon.  I did however see a decline in population when I added Apistos.  My Macmasteri that I had for about a year tore shrimp up.

I couldn't figure out where the shrimp topic came up.  I see I started a "side discussion" with @NOLANANO that was off topic.  Sorry, the shrimp and guppies are in another tank, not with the EBA and the Gudgeon.  But, I do have a 3 or 4 yr old Amano shrimp in with the EBA and Gudgeon that I rarely see and forgot about.  He's so big, I don't imagine that he will ever get messed with in that tank.

I owned two in a 20. Both male and female are colorful, but I would recommend getting more females than males. Males are usually darker than females. The male was nasty toward the female in such a small space, so I would get no more than 2. Try to pick the less aggressive ones in the store. Very cool fish, but I don't know if I can keep them with my ropefish.