Acrylic wall/filter in rimless

Hi there, 

putting a diy sump in a 60 x 45 x 45 cm rimless to make the tank 45 x 45 x45 cm cube.  I’m using black acryli.

I'm thinking the the pressure on either side will be the same because it’s basically a baffl.

my question is can I use black silicon?  I know silicon isn’t great on acrylic but I’m thinking it will enough to neatly hold the dividi wall and the filter baffles.

thoughts possible problems.

im doing this for the challenge and I love the diy.

regards Darren

Posted (edited)
On 5/28/2024 at 9:19 PM, Duzzy said:

Hi there, 

putting a diy sump in a 60 x 45 x 45 cm rimless to make the tank 45 x 45 x45 cm cube.  I’m using black acryli.

I'm thinking the the pressure on either side will be the same because it’s basically a baffl.

my question is can I use black silicon?  I know silicon isn’t great on acrylic but I’m thinking it will enough to neatly hold the dividi wall and the filter baffles.

thoughts possible problems.

im doing this for the challenge and I love the diy.

regards Darren

Super glue would adhere to the acrylic better and cure faster than silicon. @Duzzy

Edited by Tlindsey

So cut the acrylic panel so you have a 2-3 mm gap between the panel and glass. Fill the gap with silicone to U shape gasket around the acrylic. For the bottom, put a bead of silicone down first.

I would also rough up the acrylic edge. 

Thanks Mark and Lindsey.  I was thinking similar I was just wanting confirmation or reassurance from someone before proceeding.  I’d thought of superglue but I always end in such a mess plus if I ever remove it I can with silicon and a razor.  The filter sump section will have 3 compartments 150mm x 150mm x 450mm each enough for my hand to reach in.  Also the baffles will be acrylic I think I’ll use Weldon number 3 or 4 on one side and silicon the other should do.  1st compartment 3 different sponges and noodles, second compartment bioballs so that a peace lily and or pothos and third compartment variable speed pump diy co2 reactor and a heater (if needed). And acrylic covers on top of the 1st and 3rd filter compartments…..

thanks again

Regards Darrem

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 5/31/2024 at 5:35 PM, Duzzy said:

I think I’ll use Weldon number 3 or 4 on one side

You want to use Weldon for a glass to acrylic bond? Not sure if that would work.

This is a sump I made with 1/4" cellular PVC which is similar to acrylic. 

20230901_073546.jpg.3c5ff8aa5c395093031fe7cd7ea030c2.jpg

The black vertical stripe to the left of the 'A' is black silicone.  

Filledwithwater.jpg.c5a7fdd93a81e607a04a69ba551dde7c.jpg

You can see the black silicon on the top near the tube. I decided to rebuild this sump, I had to use a jigsaw to remove the  PVC panels, it was sealed in very well. The bead of silicone in the PVC corner (next to 'TOP') just peeled off,  silicon does not bond well to PVC. 

So I would just skip the Weldon and create the U shape gasket around the acrylic. 

And honestly, a tiny leak doesn't matter. 

Edit: One more point. By making a U shape gasket with the silicone, it does not have to make a strong bond with the acrylic.  It's like pushing a piece off glass between a rubber gasket. It will create a tight seal.

Edited by madmark285
  • Like 1