Avoiding Betta and Pleco stress

Hi.  You guys have been so amazing and helpful and reassuring with your advice and suggestions I now want to ask and get your thoughts on everything ☺️😂

My 5 gal Fluval Spec with my new Betta and the cutest tiniest juvenile Bristlenose Pleco ever are now in their home and all seems happy and well.  For 2 days now 😁

My question is…… and it is because I am so gunshy and wanting to not cause him/ them any issues……. I took y’all’s advice and my plants are delivering today so I was going to place them tomorrow.   So I’ll be rearranging the current wood and adding the new plants- background and middle …….. as these are babies and new to the tank…..is it better if I leave them in or I am thinking if it’s less stressful to move them into my little holding temporary while I do this.  

What’s the consensus? 😂🙏🏻♥️

Snelly.  Telly.  And maybe thinking Koi…..

IMG_6976.jpeg

IMG_6980.jpeg

IMG_6991.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

You can rearrange decor and maintain the tank while the inhabitants are still in it.  It is less stressful than chasing them with a net and having them moved to an entirely new enclosure (even if it's just temporary)

You are propably aware but I just want to warn you that plecos are poop machines so be careful with the ammonia and nitrite!

Edited by VanDogh
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ok.  Thank you.   I was just second guessing and this forum has become my reassurance.   Cool.  Thank you.  Yes.  I was warned about that with the messy plecos but I have some nasty algae I cannot make go away so this was the alternative to get rid of that.   Im planning to do a weekly water change to hopefully help control it.  🙏🏻🙏🏻🤷🏻‍♀️🙈

• Like 2

NP! It looks good so far and good luck with the tank 😀 Since the tank is relatively new maybe a water change twice a week the first month just to be safe, small tanks fluctuates easier. 

OT but if you want a smaller fish with lesser waste for the next time you're looking for algae eaters I recommend otocinclus 👌 

• Thanks 1

On 5/24/2024 at 11:05 AM, AllFishNoBrakes said:

Personally I would probably leave them in. 

Just a heads up, that Pleco will definitely outgrow a 5 gallon tank. Hopefully you have plans to move it to a bigger tank when it’s necessary. 

Hi.  Thanks.  Yes.  Several in the forum that suggested him made sure to let me know get a juvenile.  And he is so super small he’s perfect.  And when he gets larger I’ll need to rehome him and get another baby.   👍🏻🙏🏻☺️

On 5/24/2024 at 10:10 AM, VanDogh said:

You are propably aware but I just want to warn you that plecos are poop machines

Honestly I think they get a bad rap for that. They’re constantly grazing, so whatever they do poop comes from somewhere. Usually from the algae that people don’t notice. In a tank, they’re usually a net positive. 

• Like 1

On 5/24/2024 at 6:48 PM, Tony s said:

Honestly I think they get a bad rap for that. They’re constantly grazing, so whatever they do poop comes from somewhere. Usually from the algae that people don’t notice. In a tank, they’re usually a net positive. 

In such a small tank, a small amount of feces can soil the water easily. Living algae won't produce harmful substances like ammonia but feces do. They're fine in bigger tanks

On 5/24/2024 at 1:06 PM, VanDogh said:

a small amount of feces can soil the water easily

Correct. But still net positive. But yeah, tank is too small for bristlenose. Could do clown pleco though.