Kuhli loach feeder

VanDogh

I will eventually move my kuhli loaches to my bigger "main tank." My problem is that I have feisty kerri tetras, serpae tetras and blue gouramies that will steal food from literally anyone and anything. When I add tablets for my corydoras, no matter the size, they will chase them off and keep eating them despite them laying on the bottom.

Kuhli loaches are,  to my knowledge, not known for being especially assertive. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas of a contraption I could build for my kuhlis? A contraption other fish can't enter. I won't have to worry about them starving if they have access to food there.

On 5/24/2024 at 2:47 AM, VanDogh said:

I will eventually move my kuhli loaches to my bigger "main tank." My problem is that I have feisty kerri tetras, serpae tetras and blue gouramies that will steal food from literally anyone and anything. When I add tablets for my corydoras, no matter the size, they will chase them off and keep eating them despite them laying on the bottom.

Kuhli loaches are,  to my knowledge, not known for being especially assertive. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas of a contraption I could build for my kuhlis? A contraption other fish can't enter. I won't have to worry about them starving if they have access to food there.

I suggest target feeding using a section of pvc pipe cut to length for height of the aquarium. I also suggest feeding floating food at the same time to confuse the Tetra and Gourami. 

Pic of 2" section of pvc pipe I personally used to feed a Raphael cat. 20240524_081732.jpg.07cfaa60a466b9522e8c5a46fdac0a73.jpg

On 5/24/2024 at 2:28 PM, Tlindsey said:

I suggest target feeding using a section of pvc pipe cut to length for height of the aquarium. I also suggest feeding floating food at the same time to confuse the Tetra and Gourami. 

Pic of 2" section of pvc pipe I personally used to feed a Raphael cat. 20240524_081732.jpg.07cfaa60a466b9522e8c5a46fdac0a73.jpg

Oh, could you perhaps link what type of pvc pipe? 

(I am sheltered and don't know stuff)

On 5/24/2024 at 1:21 PM, VanDogh said:

Sorry but do you mean inches or?  Unfortunately that webpage seems unaccessible in my country 😕

Oh my apologies 2 inches in diameter 4,6, 8, 10ft US measurement.

• Like 1

On 5/24/2024 at 8:06 PM, Tlindsey said:

Oh my apologies 2 inches in diameter 4,6, 8, 10ft US measurement.

NP, thank you! I am going to look for those in a hardware store. To make it prettier I consider glueing some Java moss to it 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Kuhli loaches are largely nocturnal. The other fish aren't.  Try dropping the wafers etc in when the tank is dark and "sleeping", which will also let your loaches feed under more natural and less stressful conditions.   

Edited by daggaz

• 5 weeks later...
On 5/24/2024 at 5:53 PM, VanDogh said:

NP, thank you! I am going to look for those in a hardware store. To make it prettier I consider glueing some Java moss to it 

I don't think that will be necessary, generally you only put it in when feeding. So you hold it with one hand, keeping at least an inch or two above the surface of the water, plunging the other end of the pipe down near the aquarium substrate, then drop your food into the pipe with your free hand, once the food sinks and appears out the bottom end of the pipe, you can just pull the pipe out. 

I prefer using a clear pipe so I can see the food as it falls. 

It's a great and super simple trick. I don't know if hobby aquarists or zookeepers discovered the trick first, but either way, it's incredibly helpful!