Chiller Recomendation?

Posted (edited)

I’m considering getting a chiller to keep my 55 gallon planted tank cool over the summer. Can anyone give a recommendation?

I would also appreciate any thoughts about aquarium fans.

TIA

Edited by Evan

I find air conditioning the room to 73 degrees a wonderful solution to me.  It gives me comfort as well as reducing tank temps.   Having 1 room in living space at 73 is sufficient for me, just as having one room heated to 73 in the winter is wonderful..

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

@Sacah

The temp has been 80F - 82F the last couple days and I would like to bring that down to my usual 75F - 78F. I have a South American community tank with Tetras, Cories, BN Plecos, Apistos and Angelfish.

Edited by Evan

Posted (edited)
On 5/24/2024 at 12:47 AM, Galabar said:

One of the cheapest, reasonable options might be: https://aquacave.com/jbj-arctica-1-10-hp-titanium-aquarium-chiller-dba-75.html

So, $600.00 for an aquarium chiller that only cools the tank…. Vs $160.00 for a window 6,000 btu AC to cool a room assuming you could close doors to room to isolate it from rest of the living space…

My son used to work in maintenance at L.L. Bean where they have an indoor trout pond and indoor native fish aquarium where they used chillers to bring water temp down to mid 50s for these fish….  Makes sense as cooling room to that level doesnt…

For Tropical fish with temps to the low to mid 70s, cooling the room makes so much more sense to my mind…. I love the dual benefit of cooler tanks and a room of refuge to “chill” in….

Edited by Pepere
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/25/2024 at 10:08 AM, Evan said:

@Sacah

The temp has been 80F - 82F the last couple days and I would like to bring that down to my usual 75F - 78F. I have a South American community tank with Tetras, Cories, BN Plecos, Apistos and Angelfish.

I personally wouldn't worry about a chiller for those fish.  A chiller may be expensive to run. @Evan

Edited by Tlindsey

On 5/25/2024 at 7:50 PM, mynameisnobody said:

Unless it’s goldfish, koi, or saltwater, I’d never invest in a chiller. Doesn’t seem beneficial especially for the species listed above

Yes, but algae tends to grow more when the water gets warmer… and I feel much better with my bedroom 73 and 50 % humidity in summer and winter….   12x13 room R 30 walls single window.  Electricity cost is not terribly high as heat loss/gain in small well insulated room is quite reasonable…. And living in Maine the number of Cooling Degree days is not high…

• Like 1

On 5/25/2024 at 8:24 PM, mynameisnobody said:

On second thought, cold states like Maine may make sense, but is it worth it for the limited amount of heat you guys get?

Wednesday when it hit 94,  it was worth sticking the AC in the window.  I ran it 3 days this past week.  $160.00 for a 6,000 btu window unit is very worthwhile in my book.

the extended forecast shows only 1 day of 80 degree weather for June currently, but that can change quickly…

Last summer it was running for weeks at a time…  $20-30.00 a month for electricity to keep comfy is well worth it in my book.  Most people fritter that away weekly on take out coffee…

It is sort of like a snowblower.  The joke is, “ I bought a new snowblower this fall and it never snowed more than a few inches! Best investment I ever made!  If I could guarantee that every year I would buy a new one every year!…

• Like 3

On 5/25/2024 at 7:50 PM, mynameisnobody said:

Unless it’s goldfish, koi, or saltwater, I’d never invest in a chiller.

I’d add one. Axolotl. My daughter wants one desperately. She’s 9. I did the typical parent thing. I told her she can have one when she’s 13. I certainly hope she changes her mind before then. 🤣

On 5/25/2024 at 8:41 PM, Pepere said:

Wednesday when it hit 94,  it was worth sticking the AC in the window

I second that. Any day above 90 is definitely worth it. Especially when night temperatures don’t get below 75

• Like 2

In the US northeast, we typically get high humidity on hot summer days. A window AC is well worth the investment.

A minor issue with chillers, is the heat from the tank vented outside? If not, you are cooling your tank and heating the room.

• Like 1