Is this correct?

So I’ve just setup my sponge filter by taking it apart and attaching an airstone in the middle of it, does this look alright and will it be enough flow to build up beneficial bacteria? I can’t really attach a video but here’s a few pictures. P.s it’s not upright because I was testing it in a bucket and the water was quite shallow.

IMG_3801.png

IMG_3798.png

IMG_3800.png

IMG_3799.png

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

The plastic cylinder helps with uplift/flow by forcing the water being pulled up by the bubbles to come through the tube (and thus through the sponge).  Without the cylinder, water will be drawn from least resistance which will be from the side without the cylinder.  That said... I don't think it probably matters all that much.

Your flow looks fine, if anything maybe a little too much.  Get an inline flow valve so you can fine tune it.  The smaller the bubbles the better, usually.  But it is, by no means, "rocket science".  If you've got bubbles, you'll be fine.

Edited by jwcarlson
  • Like 5

On 5/15/2024 at 4:54 PM, jwcarlson said:

The plastic cylinder helps with uplift/flow by forcing the water being pulled up by the bubbles to come through the tube (and thus through the sponge).  Without the cylinder, water will be drawn from least resistance which will be from the side without the cylinder.  That said... I don't think it probably matters all that much.

Your flow looks fine, if nothing else maybe a little too much.  Get an inline flow valve so you can fine tune it.  The smaller the bubbles the better, usually.  But it is, by no means, "rocket science".  If you've got bubbles, you'll be fine.

I’ve got an inline valve already. What should the flow be like so I know it’s just right?

On 5/15/2024 at 11:15 AM, Cjbear087 said:

I’ve got an inline valve already. What should the flow be like so I know it’s just right?

Depends on the setup.  If you've got a betta plastered against the wall because you've got so much turbulence... it's too much.

If you've got a tank full of corys you probably can't get enough flow to be too much for them.  

Hopefully that makes sense.  I typically have the flows fairly low, you don't need to have massive flow through the sponge.

• Like 2

On 5/15/2024 at 5:18 PM, jwcarlson said:

Depends on the setup.  If you've got a betta plastered against the wall because you've got so much turbulence... it's too much.

If you've got a tank full of corys you probably can't get enough flow to be too much for them.  

Hopefully that makes sense.  I typically have the flows fairly low, you don't need to have massive flow through the sponge.

Oh well I have it in the back chamber of my tank so it’s not even in the fishes vicinity. I’m just using it so if I set up a qt I can take it out and have a cycled filter at the ready. So in this case flow doesn’t matter too much right?

• Like 2

On 5/15/2024 at 11:20 AM, Cjbear087 said:

Oh well I have it in the back chamber of my tank so it’s not even in the fishes vicinity. I’m just using it so if I set up a qt I can take it out and have a cycled filter at the ready. So in this case flow doesn’t matter too much right?

Correct... it doesn't much matter.  Let it rip.  One other consideration, though, is the splashing.  The bubbles are going to fling a little water up/out when they burst at the surface.  So, take that into account.  If you've got a lid this isn't too big of a deal.  If you don't, it can look like your tank is leaking depending how it's located. 😄  Ask me how I know!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 5/15/2024 at 5:25 PM, jwcarlson said:

Correct... it doesn't much matter.  Let it rip.  One other consideration, though, is the splashing.  The bubbles are going to fling a little water up/out when they burst at the surface.  So, take that into account.  If you've got a lid this isn't too big of a deal.  If you don't, it can look like your tank is leaking depending how it's located. 😄  Ask me how I know!

😂got a lid so no worries. Appreciate it as always 🙂

• Like 3