Posted (edited)

What is it growing on?  Pictures? Please provide as many water parameters (fertilizer type, fish load, etc) & maintenance habits as you know.

I've had success knocking it out with the following: 

1. Frequent water changes, 25-50% a week.

2. Keep a clean tank & filter . 

3. Remove & scrub any equipment, filter intakes, air line, etc, that's below the waterline. 

4. Remove & solution dip the plants you can. This mostly works with epiphytes & some ferns. You can use either a very week bleach or hydrogen peroxide solution. Google/search will have lots of explanations. 

5. Spot treat the plants you can't easily remove with either hydrogen peroxide or Flourish Excel.  Again, Google/search for specific methods. Easiest when water is low & filter off during water change.

6. Reassemble the tank & treat the water per instructions on Excel bottle. Heavy first dose & smaller follow ups for at least a week. 

7. Be aware that some plants (Eg., vallisneria) react poorly to Excel, but may come back.

I had great success with this procedure. Your milage may vary. 

To keep it away, you should do some research on why it showed up. The usual culprits are unbalanced tank (light, fertilizer, co2), excess decaying organic matter (dead stuff, fish food, etc) & poor filter/water maintenance. 

Lots of good websites have in depth articles on types of algae & methods to combat such. 

Good luck! 

Edited by Beach Cruiser

I cleaned more, pulled stem and epiphyte plants out for reverse respiration soak at least twice, reduced my lighting time, fertilized more regularly and floated a lot of hornwort, making sure some if it shaded some of the affected areas.

I also just decided there is always going to be some, so just trim affected plant portions and replant. I know my 9 month old tank is still seeking balance, so, I waited 2 weeks each change.

I will have to try spot treatment with hydrogen peroxide sometime.